INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Further frustrations - plate solving/polar alignment

• Thank you received: 2
I have attached the logs as discussed.

Another thing that is not resolved is the extremely flaky hotspot. Using it to connect via vnc to my laptop constantly leads to the connection being lost with 'the connection was closed remotely'. This is despite the laptop currently right next to the Rpi, with the powered USB 3 hub next to that with a bros trend USB wifi dongle installed and the hotspot running on that. I have posted about this previously with no resolution.
2 years 1 week ago #81534
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I added this as requested over 10 days ago and posted logs. Once again, no reply...

I did in the meantime manage to solve the problem with incorrect slewing - it seems that the horizontal co-ordinate grid had been toggled on and once I toggled on equatorial co-ordinate grid, it worked, although the go to is not the most accurate.

Stellarmate is very nearly there for me, but there are still issues which I will post in separate threads. It is a a superb piece of software and very nearly perfect, but I really need help getting these different issues sorted out.
2 years 6 hours ago #81807

• Thank you received: 69

I probably can't help, but... I'd guess Kstars/Indi are not the root of the issue.
Does
sudo dmesg
or
lsusb -t
give any indication of errors in your USB initialization / connectivity?
Do you have wifi network analyzer software to check for signal strength / wifi interference? I use WiFi Explorer to peak at my network robustness.

Cheers
Jerry
2 years 2 hours ago #81811

Jerry, thank you for the suggestion, but I have not been suffering from issues with USB connectivity, likewise the only issues I had with wifi were when using vnc to remote in - with teamviewer there does not seem to be connectivity issues. I would also add, that using the same equipment on a windows machine and executing go to and plate solving via APT does not reproduce thhis problem hence my suspicion that it is INDI/EKOS related. Also, as per the post preceding yours, the problem is largely fixed.

My remaining problem with plate solving now appears to be when the target is in the field of view but the accuracy not met it does another plate solve which fails (despite having successfully plate solved previous image) and then plate solves again - this time successfully. This appears to be some kind of wierd bug.
1 year 11 months ago #81824

• Thank you received: 809
Was the second solve a blind solve? I think Jasem had added some code for it to try again with a blind solve if the informed solve fails. Maybe some inaccurate information about scale or position was sent to the solver?
1 year 11 months ago #81829

Hi Rob,

I dont think it was. Basically, my procedure is carrry out a go to, realise the accuracy is out and then do a blind solve and sync. From there I go to the target and it is pretty close but do a plate solve after selecting options to not do blind. At this point I have selected go to target for the plate solve. It shows that the target is not within the specified margin of error and then nudges the scope and carries out a plate solve, which fails - even though I can see the target. It then repeats the plate solve, this time successfully - not movement having taken place between the failed plate solve and the successful one.
1 year 11 months ago #81830

• Thank you received: 809
Ok, so one thing that might help is the way I tend to use it. So if you have KStars set to "sync" instead of "slew to target", then it will update the mount, but it won't try to recenter the target. the multiple plate solves really close to the target while it is centering it up will not actually help your pointing, in fact, multiple align points close together for mounts who can have many points, is not that useful. You would actually want your alignment points to be much further apart. So what I usually do when I set up, is I go to a random patch of sky, do a plate solve and do that a couple of more times fairly far apart, and then I try to go to the target. That is the way I like to use it and it seems to work well for me. The "slew to target" option is only really useful in my opinion if you are doing a load and slew to try to sync up to a previous image you took.
1 year 11 months ago #81837

Time to create page: 0.917 seconds