INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Plate solving for Polar Alignment

• Thank you received: 2
Hi

I am new to the Indi ecosystem

I was able to get out under a clear sky last night for the first time but couldn’t get polar alignment to work

I set up; connected all equipment; turned on tracking; too a phot ( Canon DSLR) and plate solved successfully;

However when I then attempted to use the polar alignment routine,- with all settings the same- it failed to plate solve even the first image and eventually aborted

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted, thanks in advance
1 year 9 months ago #84179

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
Just so I have understood this correctly, are you saying the platesolving for exact same region worked directly but failed in PA tool?
The area around the pole star is quite sparse and I have had challenges getting platesolving to work there. But in my case my FOV is quite small with main scope so I tend to use the guidescope and that works.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
1 year 9 months ago #84180

• Thank you received: 1
Yes, the area around Polaris is a little sparse. The last time out I was also having the Polar Alignment register. Sometimes adjusting the exposure times helps, sometimes switching Polar Alignment to the guide scope helps. If nothing else works I will slew my scope upwards a little to perhaps get a more populated star field; this generally works.
1 year 9 months ago #84186

Yes exactly my problem…it plate solves when I ask it to capture and plate solve. Without moving the scope ( except it is tracking) I immediately go to the PAA tab…and it fails to plate solve repeatedly.

I haven’t tried with the guide scope. My main scope F/l is 254

Ps I am in the Southern Hemisphere so no Polaris but have not in the past had trouble with SharpCap or Polemaster
1 year 9 months ago #84205

I might try, as you suggest, with a guide scope-125 mm f/l. Still it’s strange that it would solve in exactly the same position in one tab and not in the PAA tab.

Some setting I am forgetting maybe?
1 year 9 months ago #84206

• Thank you received: 33
Its indeed strange that platesolve works normally but not using PA tool. Pls post the logs and someone maybe able to help.
As you are in Southern hemisphere, I am guessing Polaris is very low on horizon or not visible at all. In which case you may have better success rate with PA by pointing to a higher altitude (near meridian) where there are more stars. The arc described will be larger but the centre of that arc will still be the NCP.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by AstroMuni.
1 year 9 months ago #84233

Time to create page: 0.766 seconds