INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Trying to find Raspberry Pi case that has fan and fits RTC chip.

• Thank you received: 1
Hi Fred,

The Pi case that you use looks great, but it doesn't look to have more clearance than what I have. Based on your positive experience in fitting a RTC and fan however I would say it would be worth while for me trying this out. My RTC just doesn't fit between the fan with my case.

Thank you,

Paul
1 year 7 months ago #85182

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rafa; that looks like a very interesting case that already has a lot of helpful internal and external components. It is something like this that might compete with the ASIAIR. I will certainly keep this in mind.

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafa Barberá
1 year 7 months ago #85183

• Thank you received: 28
Hi Paul,

In my set up, when I had the RTC board on the pins - it occupied the first few pins - a bit a way from where the fan mounts on this enclosure. Also, on some of the plastic enclosure lids, you can move the fan a bit by tapping the screws into the plastic elsewhere if needed - just keep the fan positioned so it can vent properly.

Fred
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Imm
1 year 7 months ago #85184

Fred; I'm going to give this a try.

Thank you and I will see whether adjustments are necessary when my case arrives.

Crossing my fingers.
1 year 7 months ago #85186

• Thank you received: 25
I glued my fan to the outside of the case and drilled a hole so I could take power from the GPIO header. Isn't pretty - definitely not a nicely integrated package - but it works, and it didn't require me to use any parts other than what I had on hand. Once the fan dies, I'll probably epoxy some nuts to the inside so I can just use screws to hold the fan on.
1 year 7 months ago #85187

Frederick: Unless I am doing something wrong, I am running into the same issue with the iUNiKER case as I did with the Mluzei case.

Evidently there is a different way of installing the RTC chip or your RTC is lower profile. I will insert a photo of the way this is fitting; perhaps this will reveal why this isn't working properly.

1 year 7 months ago #85303
Attachments:

I had a similar problem once (although not the same). What I did was to mount the fan to the top using the vent holes to screw into rather than the mounting pins that are molded into the top. That way you can position the fan away from the pins (and the RTC) yet still have it positioned over the holes for ventilation. I think the screws that came with the fan kit are of sufficient size that they will find a good grip in the vent holes.

Sorry this hasn't worked out of the box.
1 year 7 months ago #85305

Fred,

No worries. I was hoping that there might be clearance in the necessary area, but at least I know now.

I am not super rushed for finding an answer. This is kind of a side project at the moment, but I will want to have the Pi fan fully enclosed just for the sake of how my telescope cover would possibly catch on the fan, as it occasionally does with cables.

I have considered the use of spacers to clear the RTC chip by moving up the fan, but I haven't seen how it would work with the cases that I have. It would be nice if a case existed however with adequate clearance.
1 year 7 months ago #85313

Hi Paul,

I found the old top to the RPi case (the same one you purchased) with the fan still mounted - I've attached a photo. You'll see two of the standard fan mounting pegs above where the fan is mounted - obviously not being used in order to provide clearance for the RTC. If I recall correctly, I may have had to clip/grind the other two pegs down so I could move the fan. The four screws go into the vent slots and firmly hold the fan inside the case. The cover fits just fine with the fan inside the case, not mounted outside and not interfering with the case closing all the way.

Good luck on the project.
1 year 7 months ago #85315
Attachments:

Fred,

That would certainly provide clearance for the RTC by mounting the fan sideways.

I guess the only question would be whether the displaced fan would give adequate cooling to the main chip.

This would be a minimally invasive way of getting what I would need, thank you for suggesting this.

I spent a couple hours searching online for a Pi case that was tall and included a fan and came up fairly empty, with only a couple plausible solutions.

It would seem that I would not be the only one looking for a little more clearance in a Pi case.

Another possible solution would be finding a RTC that didn't mount directly on top of the pins.
1 year 7 months ago #85318

• Thank you received: 52
Hi Fred,

I have found the 3D printing world opened a world of things to help astro gadgets.
Here is a printable case, designed with RTC and fan in mind and used by author for astronomy.
www.printables.com/model/30600-raspberry...an-case-supports-rtc
www.printables.com/model/30600-raspberry...e-supports-rtc/files

You do not need a printer if only doing a few one off's, I have used various services to print models. Not an endorsement, upload file to print and then see various vendors willing to print along with cost.
www.treatstock.com/

Using PLA material is good enough if scope not going to be out in the sun for extended periods of time, going PETG if it is.

Gene
1 year 7 months ago #85341

Paul,

I never had a cooling problem that I was aware of/encountered. Since the fan is really only offset by a fraction of an inch, it still has vents it can exhaust air through covering the entire fan surface. Also, the offset is so small that the fan still covers all the heat sinks/chips on the RPi board. The fan isn't really mounted 'sideways' but rather just moved a fraction of an inch diagonally from it's 'normal' position.

Best of luck,
Fred
1 year 7 months ago #85345

Time to create page: 1.456 seconds