INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Skysafari 7 with stellarmate

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Amit on topic Skysafari 7 with stellarmate

Fred,

Right, I got that far too. When I ask skysafari to slew, it slews and even kstars at that time shows that the mount is moving.

The problem is that after the mount is done slewing, ekos does not know this is the new target. If I go to the align module and attempt to plate solve (slew to target), it will try to slew to the last target that I used in kstars, not what I just selected in skysafari.

In other words, skysafari does not seem to communicate the target to ekos. This is weird since kstars does know that the mount is moving, just not where it is headed.
1 year 6 months ago #87142

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 28
Hi Amit - I'm going to be imaging later tonight and may have a chance to try the plate solving thing out some more. I want to make sure I have your environment right. Are you using Stellarmate from a mobile device or KStars/EKOS from a laptop/desktop or something else?
1 year 6 months ago #87143

When I tried it, kstars was running on a Windows computer, and I was operating skysafari from my Android phone.

Thank you for looking into this!
1 year 6 months ago #87144

Hi Amit - Just did a test run with M31 as the target. Here was the set up:

- KStars/EKOS running on a Mac with a RPi with StellarmateOS installed outside at the mount. The RPi was only acting the INDI server - I wasn't controlling EKOS on the RPi via screensharing or using StellarMate from a mobile device to control things.

- SkySafari7 running on an iPad under Apple's iPadOS.

- After starting EKOS on the Mac I launched SkySafari7 on the tablet. I connected my mount via SkySafari and had it slew to M31, which it did.

- From the Mac, I used the Align module in EKOS. I selected Capture and Solve with the Solver Action being Slew to Target. I could see in the Solution Results that it was solving for the Andromeda Galaxy. It got hung up at first but a second try nailed it. I had never entered Andromeda as the target in EKOS so the only place it got the target was from SkySafari on the tablet. Also, any mount motion I could see in KStars on my Mac I could also see on my tablet in the SkySafari interface - seemed to work in parallel.

So, I'm not sure what to suggest. It seemed to work as intended in the set up I had. If I have a chance to play with more targets, I will. To be fair, to keep things simple, I will probably just use KStars on the Mac for the planetarium functions and EKOS for all the rest.

Let me know if I try anything else!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willi
1 year 6 months ago #87145

Huh! It didn't work like that for me. I will have to give it another try.

And I am not alone. There are others on cloudy nights reporting that it works (or does not work) the way I described. I hope when I try I get it to work or discover what I am doing wrong.

Just to be sure, I set up the mount as an indi mount, *not* the Meade 200 mount thing that is on the instructions here? The indi mount is a new thing in skysafari 7, and it never asked me for a mount model. Not that it should matter, because I tried this for both mounts that I own.
1 year 6 months ago #87146

Amit - you are correct, I didn't set it up as the Meade thing. When I went through the process of setting up the INDI mount in SkySafari (once I had the right IP address entered for my INDI server), it just picked up my mount (an iOptron). I assume it got that from the INDI server. So, it didn't ask me for my mount model - it just picked it up correctly (again, I assume from the INDI server).
1 year 6 months ago #87147

I feel your pain by the way. The documentation doesn't seem to keep up with all the changes and there are so many possible configurations that all the use cases are hard to anticipate.
1 year 6 months ago #87148

I am wondering if it is even necessary to add skysafari as an auxiliary in the device profile.
1 year 6 months ago #87149

I think that's the question - what is it adding to your workflow that KStars isn't satisfying?
1 year 6 months ago #87150

No, I mean whether it is necessary to add skysafari as an auxiliary for it to work with this setup.

The skysafari app has the observation planner that I seek. Kstars's observation planner is a mess, it's never worked correctly for me. I wanted to view interesting objects in an area of sky that I can see. Kstars wants me to enter the region in ra and dec, instead of alt az that is so much more intuitive to specify.
1 year 6 months ago #87176

Amit,

For more than a year I've been using Starry Night Pro Plus 8 to do a lot of my planning - I found it easier to use than KStars. Starry Night, like SkySafari, is from Simulation Curriculum and I've now found that that SkySafari INDI driver also allows EKOS work with Starry Night. To be honest, I'm not sure what the advantages/differences are between Starry Night and SkySafari for planning and telescope control. There are a few CloudyNight threads and others that discuss differences but they aren't terribly specific. Starry Night apparently has its roots in desktop machines and is quite a bit more expensive while SkySafari seem to have its roots more in mobile device platforms (although it runs on desktop machines as well).

All that said, I've been trying to focus more on using KStars and EKOS together (trying to simplify things). While KStars is taking me some getting used to, it has many tools similar to SkySafari and I've recently started my first mosaic and the mosaic planner in EKOS has worked well in setting up each panel. I get the RA/DEC vs ALT/AZ thing - are you using the Wizard or the What's Up Tonight tool?
1 year 6 months ago #87222

Didn't know about starry night.

I was trying to use Kstars observation wizard. Basically I do EAA from my backyard, from where I can see only from Polaris on one side to east-se on the other. I got frustrated trying to see what to o serve by trial and error, manually filtering what I could not see. Kstars offers a way to enter portion of the sky, but in ra and dec. I really don't know who they are targeting with that, because anybody who can converse that easily in ra and dec probably doesn't need observation wizards....
1 year 6 months ago #87223

Time to create page: 0.898 seconds