INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

stellarmate app become not responsive

• Thank you received: 3
20/10/22 latest updates.

The stellarmate application does not respond during the image or video acquisition phase. If I press stop it stops after several seconds and not always.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Christian T.
1 year 5 months ago #87367
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 8
Please provide some more details. Which camera, which image/video settings...
In my case, using a faster wifi antenna (usb) or ethernet sped up quite some things at the image transfer/capturing stage.
1 year 5 months ago #87376
I'm using a Asi 462mc connect to a raspberry P4 via eth. When I am taking a photo or video using the icons indicated in the photo, it can take more than 10 seconds before I am able to stop the acquisition. Sometimes I have to close the app. Before a few updates ago.
1 year 5 months ago #87397
Attachments:
Looks like you are using an iPad. How old is it?
I originally used an iPad Mini 2, which was way too slow to operate Stellarmate in a usable manner.
When i switched to Android, first a phone which had too small of a display, then a Samsung S6 tablet, things were working way better.
1 year 5 months ago #87399
This issue is not related to my hardware, because it's come after a some software update. I have a samsung s6 lite 10", android 12, very powerfull tablet.
1 year 5 months ago #87400
Ok, so when the tablet is unlikely to cause the issue, i'd try to connect via VNC to the RasPi4 directly and check if the desktop software (kstars, indi, ekos) also show this behaviour. If yes, it's not the android app at fault here.

How exactly did you update the software, by the way?
I broke one installation by using the base system's package updater, so i had to re-flash the SD card with the newest image. I had some other errors with the camera driver, it was late, i gave up on it. Next day i updated stellarmate OS via terminal window using "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and everything worked perfectly again.

Did you use 32 or 64 bit stellarmate image file for flashing the SD card?
1 year 5 months ago #87402
  • Thank you received: 0
The technology and architecture used to build the app were not optimal, so I woudn't expect ui responsivenes from a react native app. As well as app doesn't process some events from ekos and doesn't notify you in ui. There are several layers between your equipment and your tablet, indi communicates to kstars/ekos, ekos to ekoslive, ekoslive to your app. There can be fault on any step, the more layers - the more problems we have

For me it is easier to use vnc and ekos, it is much more stable, it shows most of the messages/errors whats happening, so that it is clear that something went wrong instead of wordless app
1 year 5 months ago #87408
To eliminate several variables I re-downloaded the iso, copied to the ssd in use, updated the system. In the meantime, the app has been updated to version 2.5.6. Despite this, the problem of high latency to stop the acquisition is of the order of tens of seconds. In doing these tests, I monitored what was happening to stellarmate using vnc, it seems to use two different devices. The one managed by the app is from a temporal point of view, far behind, giving the impression that it works autonomously, while with vnc everything is normal. There must be some kind of communication problem between stellarmate application and device.
1 year 5 months ago #87427
Do you use "internet security" software on your tablet?
Maybe try to switch to 2.4 GHz instead of using 5 GHz mode.
Did you check with VNC from within the app (Settings tab) or from another device?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christian T
1 year 5 months ago #87435
well, I did other tests, I checked vnc from the tablet and from the pc. Everything works fine. Only the control interface of ekos on stellarmate is problematic, with high latency.
1 year 5 months ago #87443
If there is an update after which the lagging took place, it may be good to check resource usage by the app.
Memory footprint, CPU usage etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christian T
1 year 5 months ago #87451
After many tests, where I reset everything possible, the problem remains, the cpu is on average at 20% at maximum peaks, the ram is always little used. I don't know what else to do, I will wait for further updates.
1 year 5 months ago #87530
Time to create page: 0.515 seconds