INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

VNC connection to Stellarmate

• Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm new to Stellarmate (1 week) looking good so far as I can tell with scope connected in the kitchen!
I've got Stellarmate loaded onto a Raspberry pi 4B.
When I VNC using Android phone / tablet everything is fine, all working.
But when I connect laptop to the Pi using direct ethernet, I cannot use the taskbar at the top of desktop. Mouse just won't see it. Can anyone help?
1 year 4 months ago #87720

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Are you connecting using a browser in both cases?
1 year 4 months ago #87721

Hi. I'm using the Stellarmate app on tablet and Google chrome on laptop.
1 year 4 months ago #87724

Simon, your comment got me thinking. Got UltraVNC on laptop and that works OK.
I'll just stop using Chrome.
Thanks for your help
1 year 4 months ago #87728

• Thank you received: 10

Lucky you.... I'm having to reload RealVNC about every 30 seconds because either VNC becomes totally unresponsive or the RPi running the latest update (as of last night) simply disconnects.

Something is seriously wrong as prior to the latest update, I did not have that issue and the connection is very reliable. Using 5G and when I can get the RPi to respond, the signal strength is 71%, so it's not a weak signal issue. When I CAN get it to respond, the CPU is showing almost 100% usage.

EDIT:
I was finally able to get a terminal window open and ran updates from the command prompt and there were some OS ones pending. Once those were applied, the RPi 4 became responsive again.... and it wasn't just because of a reboot, as I did that already several times.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Tracy Perry.
1 year 4 months ago #87731

Why you want to work on a little PI with a slow VNC connection, masochism? leave it alone to do as an INDI server. Then use PC or MAC what you want to run Ekos in remote or Stellarium (or ugly SM android APP). If tou want use NINA with PI server it possible to install a linux USB on LAN (VirtualHere) server inside the PI too, and run NINA on client PC with (VirtualHere client).
1 year 4 months ago #88324

• Thank you received: 1
And what is using up all of the CPU resources when you're seeing that almost full utilization?
1 year 4 months ago #88326

Because actually on my network, when working correctly the RPi4 is snappy enough to not have any issues. I have MORE issues trying to connect a remote KStars up to the RPi since the Mac version of it frequently dumps on itself in a most smelly manner.
1 year 4 months ago #88337

If referring to my comment.. guess what... I couldn't find out because VNC was non-responsive, as was trying to SSH into the RPi to try to run htop. The only solution was to pull the power.
Some of the issue may be between OpenVNC and the "Screen Sharing" app on the Mac. I (so far) haven't had much problem with VNC becoming unresponsive since I moved over to TigerVNC Viewer on the Mac. But I also haven't had much chance to test it lately, and I'm avoiding running any more updates on it.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Tracy Perry.
1 year 4 months ago #88338

• Thank you received: 3
This thread is a bit old, but I will add my 2 cents. The problem has to do with the way in which the remote desktop is executed and how data is sent to the PC. VNC Viewer uses the graphics of the RPi and sends screen images to the PC. This can cause data bottlenecks at the preferred screen resolution of KStars, 1920x1080. Products like TightVNC create a replica of the RPi desktop on the PC. The result of this different encoding of the screen data means that TightVNC (and probably others) gives a snappier response and fewer, if any, dropouts compared with VNC Viewer. VNC Viewer is really intended for remote tech support whereas TightVNC is intended for headless remote operation.
3 months 3 weeks ago #97412

Time to create page: 0.916 seconds