INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget

• Thank you received: 809
As far as I know its only the first 2 numbers that need to match. The last 1 cannot be the same as the other computer. I am not sure about the 3rd. I thought it had to match also, but then it worked yesterday no matter what I made it so I guess thats not true.
6 years 4 months ago #21101
The topic has been locked.

Please bear in mind that direct Ethernet connection was not advertised as a feature of StellarMate. WiFi, hotspot, regular Ethernet are all supported without any high knowledge of networking knowledge or a single line of code required. At any rate, I just added this so StellarMate, so the next StellarMateOS version shall support this out-of-the-box, but I'm still testing it now to prevent any possible regressions.

Regarding the image capture. I didn't test with your resolution yet, but for 4096x4096 16bit image over HotSpot, it takes around 30-40 seconds to download. I think if you have a large file sizes, it would be better off to save the images on StellarMate and access them later. If you need the image for preview or when doing focusing, then yes it needs to be downloaded to Ekos, but otherwise, saving it on StellarMate is sufficient.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
6 years 4 months ago #21106
  • Thank you received: 155
Thanks everyone for your continued support and patience. I was not aware that there was a difference between “Ethernet” and “direct Ethernet”. I had thought the Mac would have created a network connection either way. Now that I changed the cmdline.text file it works very well that way.
Saving image files directly to the Stellermate’s SD card may indeed best option. It would be nice to have simpler access to the local storage vs using a separate file transfer application between the Stellarmate and the Mac. Perhaps using an external USB drive on the Stellarmate?

But here’s a question: If I am running EKOS on my Mac, are not the FITS files traveling from the camera to my Mac and then back to the Stellarmate for storage?

Perhaps I am thinking this all wrong.
My goal is this:

1. Keep all cables from the camera, guider and scope to a minimum. Ideally, no cables from the equipment to my Macbook.
2. Run EKOS without the lag of using screen sharing.
3. Keep file download speed as fast as possible, so I can reduce the dead time between exposures.

Should I be running the copy of EKOS that resides on the Stellamate?

What is the best solution?

Peter

PS: Perhaps my old iPad is just too slow for the screen sharing option. What Mac OSX ap would allow me to share the Stellarmate's screen faster?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Peter Kennett.
6 years 4 months ago #21145
  • Thank you received: 809
I think the point is that you have options. You can run Ekos on your Mac or you can run it on the Pi. Both will work. Under certain circumstances I want to run my system one way, and under others, the other way. I think the point was that if you are having troubles with download time, then you could run Ekos on your Pi and save the images there (or on a flash drive yes). But if connecting an ethernet cable solves your download time problem, then by all means download them to your Mac. If everything is working great, I like to run KStars/Ekos on the pi when I want to make it more automated, shut down my laptop and walk away, like maybe at a star party. But if I am at home, I like using my laptop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
6 years 4 months ago #21146
When I was in Pakistan, I had my equipment on my roof and had it all working off a MacMini - with Ethernet down to my computer room where I had it controlled on my 26" iMac. It was awesome to have so much screen space. But the Mac Mini needs too much power to run effectively in the field - as I will be doing here in Uganda. That is why I was considering the expensive EagleCore system until I discovered the Stellarmate.
6 years 4 months ago #21147
Today I'm going to test it over HotSpot with 8196x8196 16bit images, which would stress bandwidth to its core. I will need to think of way to reduce the dead time between exposures, but it is quite challenging technically but perhaps not impossible to achieve with INDI. So a bit of R&D for this needs to be done. For your situation, ideally there shouldn't be any cable between you and StellarMate. Just Ekos running on your Mac and connected remotely with images getting saved on StellarMate which you can transfer later via any Samba client. For speed up guiding, it can be done via PHD2 which is shipped with StellarMate as well running locally so no images are getting transferred.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric, Peter Kennett
6 years 4 months ago #21150
Is there a way in OSX to mount the Stellarmate's SD card on the Mac's desktop as a shared drive?
Like this: users.wfu.edu/yipcw/atg/apple/smb/
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Peter Kennett.
6 years 4 months ago #21151
6 years 4 months ago #21154
I was using FileZilla last night but could not figure out how to delete a file.
I just now read that I need to use FN DEL on my Macbook or right-click the files. Not the most user friendly way to do such a common task. :(
So while FileZilla will certainly work, I was hoping that there was a more integrated way to bring the file system to the desktop and make it as seamless as an external drive.
6 years 4 months ago #21157
Then any Samba client on Mac should do it as well. This is built-in in Windows, but not sure about Macs.
6 years 4 months ago #21160
For a portable system to be used in a remote area far from Internet, a built-in battery powered clock would be helpful, such as using the DS3231 chip.
Having to set the date/time ever-time I use Stellarmate is certainly doable, but not convenient and the cost of the clock upgrade would be about the cost of a cup of coffee and a donut. Might be something to consider for a future hardware model?
6 years 3 months ago #21698
  • Thank you received: 140
Hi,
Can someone tell me if the latest version of Stellarmate has the zram feature built in, as that would seem very use ful for me with my CCD, and also are the SX Trius (Starlight Xpress) range of cameras supported as they are not in the list under the SX driver...
Many thanks
AB :)
6 years 2 months ago #22242
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds