INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

connection problem

• Thank you received: 0
Last Saturday I was able to use the Android app to initialize my stellarmate. I was able to connect to 10.250.250.1 with my ubuntu laptop and access the vnc.html page, star k-stars, etc. Today I cannot connect from the laptop. The android app still works and I can connect to the vnc.html page through that - everything works on the android device. My steps are:

1- Connect to stellarmate via android app and use it to start the server. (is this necessary?)
2- disconnect android app
3- Connect laptop to 10.250.250.1 hotspot
4- send chrome browser to 10.250.250.1:6080/vnc.html
It goes busy for a while and then says "site cannot be reached. 10.250.250.1 refused connection"
I can ping the 10.250.250.1 network from ubuntu, so the basic connection seems to be there.

Any suggestions on what to check next?
Thanks,
5 years 2 months ago #33743

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic connection problem

It's not necessary to use the mobile app, it's just for first time setup. Can you SSH to StellarMate?

ssh -p 5624 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
or
ssh -p 5624 stellarmate@10.250.250.1

If you connect to HDMI monitor, what do you see?
5 years 2 months ago #33753

Replied by thomas sargent on topic connection problem

The ssh command quickly produces the response "connection refused".
When I plug in a monitor on the hdmi cable I see the normal stellarmate desktop.
I also tried connecting with my old windows 7 laptop. That worked (after I figured out how to add the network - I don't use Windows much.)

I also tried using Firefox on the Ubuntu laptop (since I was using Firefox on the windows machine) but it failed the same as chrome.
5 years 2 months ago #33773

Replied by thomas sargent on topic connection problem

I got it to work. My ubuntu network setup had some incorrect parameters for the 10.250.250.1 network. I'm not sure understand what they were, but they were different from the networks that worked. So I have it running now. Thanks for your assistance.

I have 2 off topic questions about the use of astrometry.net for which the answers are I think short.
1- My primary imaging camera is a DSLR whose field is about 37 arcminutes wide. Is this a big enough field?
2- I need astromerty.net to work when I have no connection to the internet. Is that possible?

Thanks very much. Stellarmate looks like a teriffic idea.
5 years 2 months ago #33782

• Thank you received: 420

1-Yes it is. I have used astrometry.net with similar FOV and resolving works just fine.
2-Yes it is. Have a look at the plate solving tab in Ekos. There is a radio button to the lower left of the tab to use the offline plate solver. You will need to download the FITS files that contain the star position data to be able to use this offline feature. Please search the forum for instructions on how to do that.

Clear skies, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 2 months ago #33787

In Addition to what Wouter mentioned above, I'd like to add this:

1. If you are using Ekos on a PC/Mac and connecting to StellarMate remotely, then you need to select "Astrometry" driver in your equipment profile. Then in Ekos Align module, select "Remote" as the solver.
2. If you are using Ekos ON StellarMate, then simply select "Offline" in the Align module.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven, Jerry Black
5 years 2 months ago #33790

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic connection problem

Thanks for this additional info on Remote solving on the Stellarmate. I will try this, to see if the net effect is faster than local solving which requires long wifi download times (a minute) in my configuration. Just have to wait for some clear skies.
5 years 2 months ago #33830

Replied by Glen on topic connection problem

HELP!
I lost StellarMate hot spot, ie it doesn't appear as selectable wifi network. I can connect to SM and operate in house wifi mode fine. I can VNC and and use web manager, but cannot operate in hotspot mode.
Pinging 10.250.250.1 comes back with destination not reachable.
I tried some SSH commands Jasem listed:
ssh -p 5624 stellarmate@10.250.250.1
- comes back with time out.
ssh -p 5624 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
- succeeds in getting access, but I assume this is thru house wifi network?
Help. At a minimum, in the field, I need to have hotspot mode working.

I didn't intentionally change these setting, but are they correct?

5 years 1 week ago #36621
Attachments:

I got it. Hotspot is back.
I don't exactly understand it, but here is what happened. I took down house wifi. THEN the SM hotspot appeared in wifi pulldown menu available networks. It needed a password (perhaps as I hadn't logged in since I did factory reset on SM network ), I gave PW, and now hotspot is fine. And now when I go back to house wifi, the Stellarmate hotspot still appears as available wifi network. Its odd, because before I had to log into stellarmate hotspot to do initial setup(after factory reset)? Also, before this fix, I would do a explicit search for wifi network by it's name 'stellarmate', and it was nowhere to be found. ?? Anyway, its ok now.
...My next issue is to to get ethernet working.
5 years 1 week ago #36627

So by default SM operates hotspot. When you connect to home WiFi, naturally the hotspot disappears because the WiFi controller is now used to connect to the home WiFi. To get back to using the hotspot, simply use the StellarMate App on the phone and under "Mates", select StellarMate and then select option Forget WiFi this would cause the unit to remove home WiFi configuration and revert back to hotspot.

For ethernet, no configuration is needed, just plug in the Ethernet cable.
5 years 1 week ago #36644

Jasem,
When I connect ethernet cable, there is no indication that its connected to SM. Capture file transfers are just as slow, like if still on wifi. Info button on Web Manager does not ever show an additional ethernet IP (like you show on web site). Here is what I get - there is nothing below 'wlan' listing:

terminal command 'arp -a' comes back with a reasonable IP address(and even the label 'stellarmate....') as follows:
arp -a
stellarmategag3.local (169.254.7.73) at b8:27:eb:3d:db:8 on en7 [ethernet]

But if then I ping that IP, I get timeouts, as follows.
MyLaptop:~ xxxxxxxx$ ping 169.254.7.73
PING 169.254.7.73 (169.254.7.73): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Also, trying to use Web Manager with 'http://169.254.7.73:8624/' cannot connect.
5 years 1 week ago #36648
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.819 seconds