INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Alignment functions greyed out

• Thank you received: 420
I have had issues with the solver as well until I disabled the Use Scale option. Click on the Options button to the lower right of the Align tab and then select the second tab "Solver Options". There disable scale and try again.

If that doesn't work then please post screen shots of the Align tab and all four tabs of the Options pop up.

HTH, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: MF
3 years 11 months ago #54098

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Tried disabling scaling, and solving still fails. Attached the screen shots as requested.

3 years 11 months ago #54118

• Thank you received: 420
I see in the first image that the CCD simulator is selected. Perhaps that’s the problem? Didn’t you write that you have a DSLR camera?

Also, the example of the image that you posted is MUCH larger than 360’ x 290’ = 6° x 4.8°. It looks about 10 times as large. So the FOV in the first image is MUCH too small which could also explain why the solver fails. Please set these to proper values and try again.

Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #54121

I was using CCD simulator because I did not have the camera handy with me, but does that matter?

The FOV was automatically picked up from the image, I did not enter anything. How do I calculate the correct FOV and how do I manually enter it?
3 years 11 months ago #54134

• Thank you received: 301
You can use the FOV symbols in KStars to display an approximate field of view on the star map. Add a new FOV symbol and use the Imaging tab to enter your sensor properties. The size of your sensor will change the field of view, so configure the CCD Simulator appropriately if you run tests (which is a good idea indeed).

For the offline server, you may want to uncheck "resort" and check "parity", though I don't think that would change the situation much. Also check the radius value, which will tell the solver how far from the mount coordinates it should look for a solution.

Your first picture shows a very large field, far more than the field of view you are then stating: 5184x17"/pix (from your successful solve) is 24 degrees. It's possible the offline solver then fails because of spherical aberrations on the image.

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #54137

Edit: that's the Camera tab not the Imaging tab.

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #54138

You can use the FOV symbols in KStars to display an approximate field of view on the star map. Add a new FOV symbol and use the Imaging tab to enter your sensor properties.

Done that and we are making progress :) Does this log mean it is a successful solve?

2020-05-19T18:51:07 Solution coordinates: RA (02h 21m 30s) DEC (-82° 34' 02") Telescope Coordinates: RA (10h 21m 36s) DEC (-90° 00' 00")
2020-05-19T18:51:07 WCS information updated. Images captured from this point forward shall have valid WCS.
2020-05-19T18:51:07 Solver RA (35.63624) DEC (-82.66036) Orientation (-63.00314) Pixel Scale (16.92597)
2020-05-19T18:51:07 Solver completed in 79 seconds.
2020-05-19T18:51:07
2020-05-19T18:51:07 Field center: (RA,Dec) = (35.636240, -82.660362) deg.

So I guess the mount needs to be adjusted in the direction of the Yellow Arrow?
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by MF.
3 years 11 months ago #54143
Attachments:

<strong>"The size of your sensor will change the field of view, so configure the CCD Simulator appropriately if you run tests (which is a good idea indeed)."</strong>

You mean Indi Control Panel --> CCD Simulator -->Image Info Tab? It is all read only, how do I change those values? :(
3 years 11 months ago #54144

You can change the size of the simulated sensor in one the indi tabs, yes.

The white fov marked "solver" is what the solver thinks the sensor is looking at. The yellow one is just the KStars fov attached to your point of view in the application, that will move when you drag and drop the map. Its orientation can be set in the FOV editor. I suggested you should do this to clarify if your pictures match your expected field of view (like the first sky picture you sent earlier).

So, are the drawn field of view and the result of the solver matching your expectation based on your input picture?

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #54154

<strong>"The white fov marked "solver" is what the solver thinks the sensor is looking at. "</strong>

Ok... and does the arrow indicate the direction I need to adjust?

<strong>"So, are the drawn field of view and the result of the solver matching your expectation based on your input picture?"</strong>

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't quite get what you are saying here. Can you please rephrase?

I am also watching the videos on the Stellarmate YouTube channel in order to understand the software and Polar Alignment using Ekos. So I hope to get better at this before the skies clear up next week.

<strong>"You can change the size of the simulated sensor in one the indi tabs, yes."</strong>

Tried again without success, is there a you tube video somewhere?
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by MF.
3 years 11 months ago #54161

Ok, used another image to test, and I see what you mean..

I had the simulator FOV locked to the Celestial Pole, and the Solver FOV is in the general area. So I guess I will have to adjust the altitude and azimuth until the solver FOV is super imposed on the simulator FOV. Is that right?
3 years 11 months ago #54166
Attachments:

Yes, sorry, that's it. The arrow on the "solver" FOV indicates the "up" direction of the FITS frame you captured. So you adjust your mount until FOV centers match (you don't really need to change the orientation of the KStars FOV drawing, as probably only its center is interesting for you).

-Eric
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Eric.
3 years 10 months ago #54416

Time to create page: 2.321 seconds