INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problems with Xagyl on Pi (Stellarmate)

• Thank you received: 20
I'm seeing the driver get an error, there's an entry in the logs during startup for "XAGYL Wheel: Filter Slot" and then a warning QObject::disconnect Unexpected null parameter. After that the wheel no workie, though I did hear it spinning once when I started it.

Sometimes the wheel appears to connect but is apparently unresponsive (I'm not sure how the UI is supposed to work when all the connections are operating), sometimes it fails to connect. I'm using the USB cable that came with the (used) wheel.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

PS: running KStars from the command line instead of via the K UI, I see that it segfaults.

PPS: Originally I couldn't get it working with Windows either. But by dint of fiddling about for a bit and running the "Calibrate" routine a few times, I got it functioning fine. So I know the hardware works.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Rick Wayne.
5 years 2 months ago #35064

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turn on INDI + "Filter Wheel" logging and attach the log here please. Check my signature for how to enable logging.
5 years 2 months ago #35071

Thanks for having a look. This time the user interface threw no errors, but the log-window line about retrieving the filter status never seemed to complete, and setting the filter with the INDI dialog did nothing. Subsequently when I restarted KStars, the INDI control panel said "Error retrieving date from XAGYL Filter wheel", etc.
5 years 2 months ago #35197
Attachments:

Is it still working fine under Windows? or was that a one time thing? Let's try to completely rule out hardware issues.

The logs itself does not show any issues and does not even show the the debug communication with the filter. Can you please edit your profile, and turn "Auto Connect" off. Save and then start your profile again. When the XAGYL tab pops up in INDI Control Panel --> Go to its options tab and make sure "Driver Debug" is checked. Then go back to INDI Control Panel and "Connect". Now the log should have all the debugging details necessary to diagnose this.
5 years 2 months ago #35205

Had a bit of bother getting it working consistently on Windows until I did a "Reset to factory defaults", after which it ran like a champ. Unplugged, plugged into Pi, followed your instructions, log attached. I didn't see any issues jumping out of the log but the wheel did not turn when I changed the slider in the INDI control panel and clicked "Set", either.
5 years 2 months ago #35244
Attachments:

And in subsequent playing, I can't seem to get it working consistently in Windows until I do the reset. I don't suppose there's any way to make the INDI driver send the commands to do "factory default settings" and "recalibrate", is there?
5 years 2 months ago #35303

• Thank you received: 54
I recently acquired a XAGYL filter wheel with which I had problems making it work with KStars/EKOS/Indi on my ODroid XU4Q system as well as my MAC. It would work erratically and I could not figure out why. Even the logs were not telling me anything useful.

I connected to the FW via 'cutecom' on the XU4, from which I could make it work but not reliably. Once I issued the "R7" command (commands are described in the XAGYL user manual), I could issue other commands (with cutecom) and the FW would work correctly but when I would connect again in indi, the filter wheel would work erratically again. I found out that even in simulation mode, the XAGYL FW wold not work reliably (could not change filter or even filter names). I decided to check the indi ZAGYL driver in /usr/bin against a driver version I had built from sources and their sizes where quite different. I decided to try the driver I built from source and everything started to work without any issue. I can now change filters from indi or any of the EKOS modules that need to control the FW.

Your problem may well be from a different cause but you may want to try building the XAGYL driver from sources to see if that solves your problem. BTW my system is based on an ODroid XU4, and the sources were built on that machine.

Hope this helps.
5 years 2 months ago #35310

Worth a shot, thanks!
5 years 2 months ago #35322

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds