INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Update date, time, and location from Mount with GPS

• Thank you received: 0
I have been setting up my StellarMate using the INDI Web Server on the StellarMate and connecting via KStars/Ekos, etc. on my Mac.

There is one annoying issue that I cannot fix:

The KStars time on the Mac does not update with the date on my mount (built-in GPS). Instead, it seems to get the date and time from the system clock on the StellarMate.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks,
Charlie
4 years 11 months ago #37885

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
Did you try setting the parameter at Kstars -->settings-->configure kstars-->INDIE ?
Sounds like "mount updates Kstars" is the one you want.
4 years 11 months ago #37886

I have tried this, but it doesn't seem to work.

It does work when I run KStars on the StellarMate via VNC, BUT when I run KStars on my Mac via the INDI Web server, as soon as I set Ekos to connect, the date in KStars on the Mac goes back to the system time on the StellarMate.

Charlie
4 years 11 months ago #37887

To make matters worse.......

I opened up KStars on my Mac without it connected to anything. I entered my location and time.

Then, I did a quick search for the Sun. I get a statement that it is below the horizon, but when I look out my window, it blinds me!

Charlie
4 years 11 months ago #37888

• Thank you received: 420
This may seem a silly question but are you sure the sign of the longitude of your location is correct? It needs to be negative for longitudes west of Greenwich and positive for east. If it is incorrect then trying to correct it via KStars never worked for me. I had to open up the mycitydb.sqlite database file with the sqlite3 tool and correct it manually.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #37897

I went into Kstars on the Mac without any connection to StellarMate. I entered my location with negative sign for longitude. However, Kstars still insists that at 10am, here in Denver, the Sun is below the horizon.

To verify this, I looked out the window. Indeed it was there. SkySafari and Stellarium show it as visible, but Kstars insists that it is below the horizon.

How do I find the mycitydb.sqlite? A simple find on Mac doesn't show it. Is it embedded within Kstars and accessible via Terminal?

I re-installed Kstars fully, but same problem!
4 years 11 months ago #37916

On Mac it is located in ~/Library/Application Support/kstars. It is possible that kstars is spelled with one or more capitals. I am typing this off by heart. Sorry if I state something very obvious, but ~ means your home directory.

Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #37917

• Thank you received: 226
"On Mac it is located in ~/Library/Application Support/kstars."
No experience with Mac, but in Linux, spaces in a drive path is often a subtle, but major problem.
4 years 11 months ago #37933

Indeed and it does as well on Mac. However, that only affects paths to binary executables for instance when installing KStars in “/Applications/KStars 3.1.1” or so. On Mac, all applications store their configurations in the “~/Library/Application Support” directory so that is not the issue here.

Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #37955

OK,

The Mac planet issue is ongoing.

However, I fixed the problem with KStars on the Mac taking time from the StellarMate system time. I simply purchased a $7 RTC chip and battery board and plugged it into the Pi.

Time works great now.
4 years 11 months ago #38381

Robert found the issue with planets and it is now fixed on KStars v3.2.1 for MacOS. I'm just waiting for the Windows build to finish before we make the announcement official.
4 years 11 months ago #38384

Thanks, I appreciate the quick work on fixing the issue.

Regards,
Charlie
4 years 11 months ago #38394

Time to create page: 1.379 seconds