INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Installing Stellarmate OS on ASI AIR

• Thank you received: 0
Hi erverybody,

I have an ASIAIR PRO and purchased Stellarmate OS the goal was to use the APP on this device.

I confirm that it works like explain above, but the ASIAIR PRO device contains five 12V DC output very usefull for power supply camera, focuser, but with Stellarmate it seams that those power supply output are not active.

I'm little bit disappointed, somebody knows whether Is there a way to activate the power supply?
3 years 6 months ago #59743

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9

You may want to start a new thread with the DC power and ASIAIR PRO using the StellarMate OS as your subject to get a quicker reply. Have your tried to load another driver that will control DC power outputs like the "Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox" (BTW do this at your own risk, as I do not know if they are even in the same ballpark...) otherwise it may be a function of someone reverse engineering the DC outputs on the ASI to get them activated/access.

Cheers
Jim
Celestron CGX, QSI683 Astrodon Gen 2 E series LRGB, Ha, OIII, ES102CF, ZWO-ASI178MC, 60mm guide scope, Pegasus Focus Cube 2, Feather Touch Focuser.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Jim S..
3 years 6 months ago #59805

• Thank you received: 140

Why would you think it should work...?
ASIair is a different OS and the software is built into that OS to get the 12v ports to work, there may even be extra electronics inside too, which will not work with SM, I think it will be a big mod to sort that out...but if you do, keep us informed on here... :)
3 years 6 months ago #59836

Thank you both for your reply, I believe I will not try to use an other driver to prevent any damages of asiair.

I roughly thought without to much electronics knowledge that since the device is powered the 5 power output will be powered at the same time with simply connected socket

I didn’t try for the moment with the native software from Asiair, may be I have to...

Great sky
3 years 6 months ago #59845

• Thank you received: 1
As already discussed the ASIAIR Pro (which is a Raspberry Pi4) can be operated with the SM OS. Just flash the SM OS to a fresh microSD card and boot
the ASIAIR pro up. However, as mentioned by Laurent.Wolff, in this "normal" Stellarmate configuration the 12 volts power output ports do not operate.

I have an ASIAIR pro in use, the 12v ports are configured "on" or "off" in the ASIAIR app. If you turn on all 12v ports in the App, then the power ports are
immediately available upon booting the ASIAIR with the ASIAIR OS, no need to start the app on the tablet, so the configuration is stored within hardware
configuration.

I had a closer look on the ASIAIR pro microSD card and looked into the file config.txt. The power outlets are configured there, when they have been turned on
previously by the ASIAIR app.

So, I took the Stellarmate OS microSD and edited it's config.txt.

Simply change the config.txt in the [pi4] section and add 2 additional lines in front of the [all] section like this:

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

# I2C Bus
dtoverlay=i2c3,pins_4_5

# 2New lines here
#Enable 12v gpio output
gpio=18,12,13,26=op,dh,pu

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

I have attached the config.txt file for those of you who are not familiar with file editing. Just copy the config.txt to the root directory of the SM microSD card.

When booting up the ASIAIR pro with the edited SM microSD card, the power outlets are available upon bootup.

I have successfully operated both the camera cooler and the electronic focuser using the 12V power ports with Stellarmate.

Hope this helps anybody who wants to operate the ASIAIR Pro with the much more powerful Stellarmate OS!!!!!!!

CS,

Helmut
Cologne/Germany
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vin
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Helmut Zimmermann.
3 years 3 months ago #63673
Attachments:

Helmut,

Wow I can believe you find out the trick.

Thanks a lot, I will try it right away.

Laurent
3 years 3 months ago #63690

That's what I have in config.txt, I'm surprise to see that we don't have exactly the same file. I have in addition some #Hdmi things, could I delete it?

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2
#hdmi_enable_4kp60=1
hdmi_enable_4k=1
gpu_mem=256
max_framebuffer_width=3840
max_framebuffer_height=2160

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
enable_uart=1
3 years 3 months ago #63692

• Thank you received: 1
High Laurent,,
don't be afraid about differencies between your and my config.txt file.

Just add with an editor (use notepad or notepad2 as editor, because it is important that the end-of-line info is written in Linux standard.)

So just run windows notepad and add the lines

#Enable 12v gpio output
gpio=18,12,13,26=op,dh,pu

just ahead of the section [all].

Note that lines beginng with an "#" are commentary lines, so these lines have no effect.

Give it a try, and reboot your Pi4. It will work.

CS,
Helmut
Cologne/Germany
3 years 3 months ago #63694

Nice Helmut.

Thanks
3 years 3 months ago #63719

I installed Stellarmate 1.5.4 on an SD card and inserted it into my ASIair Pro box. I cannot connect an Android device (Samsung S8/S9/tablet) to it even though it shows up on a scan for devices. The app doesn't fully open. I tried to download the updated APK in the DropBox link but DropBox says it's been deleted. Where can I find the APK or is there another way to solve my problem?
3 years 3 months ago #64265

The new app (v2.1.0) needs SM OS v1.5.5, so install that and it should work fine.
3 years 3 months ago #64278

• Thank you received: 140
No, don’t delete anything, those lines are needed, and I have all the same as you... :)
3 years 3 months ago #64279

Time to create page: 0.902 seconds