INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Forcing Stellarmate OS to Use 802.11ac WIFI ??

• Thank you received: 31
I'm running the Beta version of SM on a new RPi 4B, 4GB. So far it's working really well, connects to all my equipment perfectly and has been very stable. I'm testing the networking, trying to find the best/fastest connection possible. Obviously, the less extra gear I need and the fewer the cables, the better. I discovered that SM is only connecting with WIFI using wireless N at between 58 to 72Mbps. I have a wireless AC adapter on my laptop, and the RPi supports wireless AC, but refuses to connect using that protocol, only the slower N.

Is there a way to force SM to use 802.11ac for the fastest wireless networking?

FWIW, here are the three networking methods I've experimented with, all seem to work reliably while testing in my office:

1) Gigabit ethernet from SM to router, gigabit ethernet from router to laptop. 21MB images from my Canon T3i download in about 5 seconds.

2) Gigabit ehternet from SM to router, wireless AC from router to laptop (getting 433Mbps between router and laptop, downloading 21MB images takes about the same 5 seconds, maybe a fraction of a second slower.

3) Hotspot mode connecting completely wireless from SM to laptop, wireless N only (can't get SM to use 5Ghz AC) getting 58 to 72 Mbps, 21 MB images take about 10-11 seconds to download.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Tom Bardenwerper.
4 years 7 months ago #42261

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I found this: github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2619

Basically, it boils down to this command:
sudo iw reg set US

Can you check if it helps?
4 years 7 months ago #42309

• Thank you received: 140

Just go into the network manager and change the hotspot from Auto which is the default to 5ghz, I have done that and now have 5ghz hotspot... :)
4 years 7 months ago #42311

Running 802.11ac ?
4 years 7 months ago #42312

• Thank you received: 74
If you search this forum you will see that I had the same problem on RPI3b+ and changing the country code does not always work - e.g. Ubuntu Mate . Raspbian it worked. "Grey" imported AP's also seem to cause this problem as they are built for the country they are normally sold in and have different REGS/freq etc - its just a mess :-(

Hope the country code works for you.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 7 months ago #42317

• Thank you received: 31
I already switched the country code to US, no luck. From what I'm reading, it's an opperating system issue - latest version of Raspian supports it. I thinking we may have to wait until a new release of Ubuntu Mate and hope it's been addressed.

Thanks for your reply Jasem!
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Tom Bardenwerper.
4 years 7 months ago #42355

Time to create page: 0.646 seconds