INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

At an impasse with CGEM/NexStar USB

• Thank you received: 0
Chris,

Thank you for the detailed information about the functionality of the different ports. I had not been able to find that information anywhere.

That opens some questions about the EQMod software. Does it work only with mounts that have the required computational functions in the mount head? Or does it provide this functionality in the software?

Ed
4 years 5 months ago #44224

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 138
EQMod is for Skywatcher mounts, not Celestron isn't it?

The Skywatcher mounts operate in the same way, an internal bus that connects the HC to the axis motors and only handles low level commands such as axis pposition, move to axis position, move axis at a fixed rate. EqMod communicates directly with this bus, replacing the functionality of the HC.

AFAIK no one has done a version of EqMod that will handle the Celestron mounts but in theory it should be possible. There is also a 3rdParty NexStar Evolution driver that atempts to communicate with the motors directly and handles the mount alignment model. I don't think it has been implemented for equatorial mounts, just Alt Az.

Chris
4 years 5 months ago #44230

Chris,

Here is a new log file with the procedure you requested. It still looks like the mount does not report the firmware versions correctly. Is this helpful?

Ed

File Attachment:

File Name: log_22-43-14.txt
File Size:48 KB
4 years 5 months ago #44576
Attachments:

The log shows communication with the HC but mount type reported is 0 which is th earliest NexStar GPS and the only command to read the hardware version fails. As a result the driver assumes that the mount i the mount is the very simplest type.
It looks as if communication between the HC and the mount is flaky, the No Response 16 or 17 messages on the HC are another indication of that. This communication is up to Celestron and there's nothing I can do. You need to get back to Celestron, The No Response messages are the key. It would help if you can provoke those messages just using the HC with no connection to anything else. That will help Celestron sort this out.

Chris
4 years 5 months ago #44586

That confirms my earlier conclusion that the connection to the RPI causes a failure of the communication between the mount and the HC. I have opened a topic on the Team Celestron forum.
teamcelestron.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1551

Ed
4 years 5 months ago #44631

I can't think of a reason that connecting to the port on the HC stops the mount to HC communication. One thing to try is the ASCOM driver, that sends much the same commands as the iNDI driver, if anything more commands through the HC to the internal bus. A log of the ASCOM startup sequence could be useful for comparison.

Also lots of other people are using the INDI driver so it really doesn't look like a generic problem.

I'm on holiday and don't have access to TeamCelestron at the moment, nor any hardware or a development environment but will have a look in November.

Chris
4 years 5 months ago #44637

I thought the ASCOM driver was a Windows driver. Is there a version that works with the Stellarmate? If so, how can it be selcted?

There appear to be 2 drivers that may be associated with the CGEM mount. One is listed as 'Celestron CGEM', and the other is listed as 'Celestron NexStar'. Which one should I be using? The same problem is seen with both drivers.

After performing a series of diagnostic steps requested by Celestron Technical Support, they had concluded from my description of the problem and the results of the diagnostic steps, that the problem must be with the Stellarmate software. Chris, you have been extremely helpful with investigating the issue. And the logs support my conclusion that although the problem is experienced when the mount is connected with the Stellarmate, the failure is in the communication between the Celestron mount and the Celestron hand controller. I am not yet willing to give up on Stellarmate because it is the best tool for my requirements. And I am not ready to dump the CGEM and purchase a different mount. As a retired engineer with hardware design and software development and testing experience, I know that this is a solvable problem and one I can solve if I have the appropriate tools. Celestron has agreed to provide me with a NexStar hand controller with a serial port to test. In addition to that, I plan to probe the Celestron internal communication bus with an oscilloscope to see if there any apparent electrical changes when the Stellarmate is connected. Beyond that, I would need guidance and diagnostic tools from Celestron to investigate the issue. It remains to be seen how much support they would be willing to provide.

Chris, Thank you for your help. Let me know if you have any connections with Celestron that might have the knowledge to assist with this investigation.

Ed
4 years 5 months ago #44655

Thank you for your exhaustive testing. I might have an idea of something that might help. Can you please open a ticket at stellarmate.com? or send email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to get this issue resolved. We'll try different ideas and then if something works we'll announce it back here.
4 years 5 months ago #44669

A ticket has been opened.

Ticket Details
Title CGEM/NexStar+ USB communication failure when connected to StellarMate
Reference EOWB-000488
Product StellarMate
Category StellarMate App
4 years 5 months ago #44670

The ASCOM driver is for Windows, and works on a Windows system, not a RPi. It's just another way to see if using the HC port affects the internal communication.

I can't do any more until November.

Chris
4 years 5 months ago #44673

It appears that the source of the problem may have been an AC to 12VDC charger for a Lithium Ion battery that may not be completely isolated from the AC lines. The problem disappeared after disconnecting the charger and operating only from the battery. It is now running without problems from a good quality AC to 12VDC adapter that is properly isolated from the AC circuit. The Stellarmate is operating from a 12V to 5V converter with the goal of portable operation from a 12V battery only.

I apologize for exercising folks with an issue caused by my poor quality system. But at the least it has been an excellent learning experience for me and I hope this experience will save trouble for someone else interesting in setting up a portable system. Thanks for all the help in gaining a better understanding of the Stellarmate system and the Celestron equipment.
4 years 5 months ago #44797

Glad you got it resolved Ed. Power issues are usually the primary cause of problems when communicating with equipment.
4 years 5 months ago #44804

Time to create page: 1.172 seconds