INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indi client server vs VNC

• Thank you received: 9
I notice a lot of Stellarmate users are connecting via VNC rather than the native Indi client - server option. With Kstars /EKOS available on all major platforms I can see no reason for using VNC.
Anyone care to explain / enlighten on their preference for VNC?
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Rob.
4 years 4 months ago #45387

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40
I would love to use something more native to the environment (I'd be faster and smoother I would assume).

I use it because it has the whole package, from any device at the same time (running on my PC, Tablet and Phone). Meaning, I can see the KStars planetarium app running and the whole EKOS interface as if I had a key board/monitor plugged right into the SM.

I've 'sorta' tried the INDI client never really got it running. It looks like simpler version without the GUI interface or the planetarium interface.

Maybe I need to commit to it and give it some time. Oh the noVNC needs to time to learn .
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 4 months ago #45388

• Thank you received: 420
I always use VNC because then KStarts and EKOS run on the mini-pc that I use to control all my imaging hardware. That way I can safely shut down my MacBook ans there is no need for it to run all night. Also, in case of a WIFI/network glitch, KStars and EKOS keep running without being interrupted.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 4 months ago #45390

• Thank you received: 11
I actually do both, Kstars/Ekos on my laptop and RealVNC on a second screen attached to my laptop, because I also run a Python program on the SM to control some switches and a servo HAT ;-)
Cheers, Arnold
4 years 4 months ago #45394

• Thank you received: 809
At home, I run KStars client on my laptop and INDI Server App on the Pi. I also run PHD2 on the Pi. I use VNC once in awhile in case PHD2 is doing something I don't like, or if I need to shut down. The rest of the time, I am not looking at the desktop of the Pi.

If I were in the observing field, then I might run everything on the PI simply because I could turn off my laptop to save power once everything is set up and running. Also, you can run more than one session on different Pi's this way, all over VNC.

So the flexibility is very nice.
4 years 4 months ago #45410

• Thank you received: 27
I run everything on PI and connect to it via VNC.
I think it is more reliable - no chance that network glitch or your client deciding to go to sleep or just crash to interrupt your session.
It used to be a challenge to run everything on Pi due to low memory, but with Pi 4 all is running very smoothly on 2GB version.
With VNC approach, I can start a session from a PC and then monitor it from phone or tablet.
4 years 4 months ago #45523

Time to create page: 0.647 seconds