INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to instal ASTAP and why EKOS always show different PA error?

• Thank you received: 0
Hi!
I've tried to use ASTAP solver, but when I want to choose it it tells me that it isn't installed. How to install it?
Also I've tried doin Polar alignment in ekos, but it can't solve view from my guiding scope (ASI120MC clone and 130mm focal lenght), that's why I wanted to try solve it with ASTAP in Ekos. Okay, so I've used my 6D with 200mm lens and it solved. I've done the polar alignment process (with manual slew) and after correction I've done it again just to see what PE error I had after this and it shown higher error than before so without correcting I've done the process again to see if it will show the same error and no, it shown way differen PA Error. Why?
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Kajetan.
4 years 3 months ago #46414

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 24
you can install ASTAP by downloading the relevant package for your OS from www.hnsky.org/astap.htm . Also install the G17 star database from the same link.

Whats your mount ?
4 years 3 months ago #46425

I'm using Star Adventurer, so I have to do manual slew. The movement must be exactly 30 degree to give correct results?
4 years 3 months ago #46426

• Thank you received: 92
??? You have to point the telescope to the object you want to see/image. The 30 degrees is a search limit. If will search in a spiral from the initial position till it is 30 degrees away maximum. You could also select 180 degrees to search whole sky.

The solve will tell you where the telescope is pointing to. I can't advice you on a manual mount.

Han
4 years 3 months ago #46444

I'm talking about Polar Align, which have to do solve. You need to rotate RA axis two times (to get three photos from different positions) about 30 degree (at least from what I understand)
4 years 3 months ago #46445

• Thank you received: 226
Roughly 30 degrees is adequate, a little more or less is not an issue.
4 years 3 months ago #46453

So why I was getting different PA error every time I was doing this (without correcting PA, just to see if it show the same PA error every time which it doesn't)?
4 years 3 months ago #46457

• Thank you received: 3

I think its a known bug in polar alignment. If your PA error gets bigger after polar alignment then you have to put the circle on the star, not the end of the line (opposite of what you are supposed to do) I always do it this way and 9 times out of 10 it works.
RPi 4B (4gb) running Stellarmate OS
Skywatcher Quattro 250 with f4 coma corrector
Skywatcher Evostar 80ED with 0.85 reducer/flattener
Skywatcher AZ-EQ6,
ASI1600MM Pro with ZWO 8x1.25" EFW,
Guide scope 50x190mm, Guide camera ASI290MM
ZWO EAF focuser
4 years 3 months ago #46459

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds