INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

1.4.6 release - impressions, problems, etc. Please post.

• Thank you received: 3
Hi,

I started setting up my new ZWO camera last night with the 1.4.6 which i though I would upgrade to first. However noticed some very odd behaviour.
I have a RPI 4B 4GB.
As soon as I connect the ZWO 294 to one of the USB3 ports on the RPI4 the stellarmate hotspot dissapears/drops. I tested this a number of times to make sure. Disconnect the camera usb lead from either end (the camera end or the RPI4 end) and the wifi comes up again shortly. Connect the camera and the wifi hotspot drops away.

It feels like there may be some interplay of the USB drivers and the wifi system?

I found a similar post where someone else described very similar behaviour with his QHY cam.
I suspect there is something going on with drivers/irqs/pci bus or even maybe electronic noise. I did try and issolate any affect of noise from my power sources, and even tried short USB3 leads to and from the camera and pi to limit any cable pickup/capacitance.

Can anyone duplicate this effect or experienced it? How did you resolve?
4 years 3 months ago #46908
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 40

I too have the issue... seems to be the same even back to 1.4.4. What I've been doing is unplugging the two USB 3.0 items from the RPi4. Then it sees my ethernet connection.

How to "flash with 1.4.6 nit"? I don't even know what the "nit" is. Is that nit-picking? :P
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 3 months ago #46910
  • Thank you received: 140

Sorry spelling issue.. :)
Should say “not”
4 years 3 months ago #46911
  • Thank you received: 86
Let me rephrase.
I did flash 1.4.6.
Configured.
All was fine including the hotspot until I updated the system (regular update which pulls recent system patches and drivers).

Did this twice.

I just checked with a monitor connected to RPI:
-- when RPI starts - the hotspot is not active
-- it takes 2-4 min for it to become active
-- it becomes active and stays active but
-- it is only occasionally detected by devices (tried with android phone, android tablet, windows laptop, windows desktop)
-- even if it is detected, it shortly disappears
-- if it is detected and stays detected long enough it cannot be connected to
-- all this time it is shown as active on RPI
It's like it's broadcasting but the signal is very weak
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
4 years 3 months ago #46940
  • Thank you received: 9
I thought it was laggy with VNC at 1080P so at 4K, I can't imagine ;-) Are you using WIFI or Ethernet?
4 years 3 months ago #46941
Hi Max,

I just installed everything for apt-get -y dist-upgrade and then restarted, I can't replicate any issues. I disconnected Ethernet from SM and it took 15 seconds for the hotspot to kick in.
4 years 3 months ago #46942
  • Thank you received: 140

Actually tried both, and does not make much difference, which I also though was odd, as with gigabyte Ethernet you would expect a better speed, but no.... :(
4 years 3 months ago #46943
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,

So just to add to my previous post regarding Wifi dropping when connecting my ZWO 294 to the RPI4 with Stellarmate 1.4.6:

I flashed Astroberry 2.0 last night and used the exact same hardware, connected all my gear in the same way, ZWO 294 into the USB3 port etc, and Wifi hotspot is stable. No issues. Yipee!!!
So for me this certainly discounts any power source noise issues, low power issues (I'm using a 12v 6A), or RPI4 hardware issue.
In fact it squarely points the problems at being within the Stellarmate software/image and perhaps the drivers/kernel modules being used to run the RPI4 hardware.

Not sure what more I can do, what logs I could provide etc, so that we can get Stellarmate as stable as rock rock too as I like the product and paid for it. But I'm some sense I'm disappointed, as its been a struggle getting things up and running, and I've raised support requests with the Stellarmate team and not had any replies.

For now I will stick with Astroberry 2.0 and concentrate on getting my skills up capturing a few nebulae :)
So excited!
Clear skies all.
4 years 3 months ago #46946
Correct, this is most likely to do with Ubuntu 64bit kernel. It only happens with ZWO cameras for some strange reason. Still working on it.
4 years 3 months ago #46947
  • Thank you received: 86
Jasem - thanks for checking!
I am not sure on what's going on...
I consistently get this hotspot behavior with RPI4.
Maybe my unit is special in some way.
I'll re-flash and try again.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
4 years 3 months ago #46964
It could be 64bit Kernel, by January we will have the stable release for RPI4 ready.
4 years 3 months ago #46969
  • Thank you received: 40

Just in time for clear weather! :) (dang clouds)
4 years 3 months ago #46975
Time to create page: 0.529 seconds