INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

1.4.6 release - impressions, problems, etc. Please post.

• Thank you received: 3
I tried it for the first time last night in the field. It seems to run OK except for when running PHD2. When running PHD2 everything slows down, the same problem I had in 1.4.5.
RPi 4B (4gb) running Stellarmate OS
Skywatcher Quattro 250 with f4 coma corrector
Skywatcher Evostar 80ED with 0.85 reducer/flattener
Skywatcher AZ-EQ6,
ASI1600MM Pro with ZWO 8x1.25" EFW,
Guide scope 50x190mm, Guide camera ASI290MM
ZWO EAF focuser
4 years 3 months ago #47019
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 140

Yes me too, but to be honest mine slows right down as soon as Kstars has been open for a few minutes..... :(
4 years 3 months ago #47030
  • Thank you received: 40
Had a great night imaging last night. I opened a Christmas gift early (ZWO ASi1600 Mono)... my excuse is the rarity of clear nights. And you know how new equipment calls in the bad weather!

Anyways, I had one lockup after a bunch of imaging (I almost got all the way through my Blue images).

Restarting I was event free all night.

One thing, my network (I use an ethernet connection for the speed) worked from a boot after I removed my powered USB hub. I no longer needed it because of the 2 extra on the camera. First time I didn't need to unplug all my USB3.0 cables before trying to connect. I suspect my wireless would be working if I tried. I'm not because of the +10x speed on my hardwire.

The ASTAP worked beautifully and quickly. Astro.net still did have the correct FOV . I use a focal reducer and must not think of that when it auto calculates my FOV. ASTAP seems to.
4 years 3 months ago #47089
  • Thank you received: 10
I had one occasion of either the pi4 or the kstars freezing up and had to power cycle the pi4.

when using the internal guider, after a dither the guider would then constantly try to guide the dither back to the baseline. I tried 5 and 10 second settle times and no improvement.

I still don't understand why the histogram in the fits viewer looks so much different than other programs like nebulosity or astroimager.

is kstars compatible with macOS Catalina ?

I noticed the qhy polemaster app built into 1.4.6 which is really cool thank you for this.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Brent.
4 years 3 months ago #47310
also, this was an interesting read regarding wifi and the pi4.
notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/2019-rasp...-network-speed-test/

based on this I decided to use an old apple airport express as an access point and connect it to the pi4 ethernet plug and the pi4 seemed very responsive when using safari browser on my iMac inside to vnc to the pi4 at my telescope outside, otherwise the pi4 5ghz wifi signal strength was only 1 bar. the pi4 automatically recognized and used the ethernet connection .
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Brent.
4 years 3 months ago #47311
  • Thank you received: 40

Good article. I even feel better using my Ethernet hard wire.
4 years 3 months ago #47340
  • Thank you received: 9
I have an issue where it will stop responding to mouse clicks and need to press the control key for it to respond. At first I thought it was my Mac acting up with noVNC but I connected the HDMI display and mouse to the Stellarmate and the same issue occurs.

It happens after there is a high CPU load, such as plate solving or using the mount control while doing live video from my DSLR camera.

Additionally it won't switch out of Hotspot mode and recognize any nearby wifi signals to connect. KStars no longer locks up when closing the live video or loop of the Nikon DSLR.
4 years 2 months ago #47448
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, having issues with 1.4.5 so just installed 1.4.6. Indoor test only so not sure if I will have the same problem. I goto a target and use ASTAP to plate solve and align, (very impressed with ASTAP, solves in seconds) I then start a sequence , kstars will crash. It is very consistent. If ASTAP fails in its plate solve for any reason and I start the sequence, it will run through, albeit my target is not centered!!! Hope to test this again when the clouds go away, If I don't use ASTAP to center my target, the sequence will run through without crashing.

Equipment is: ioptron ieq45 pro, sky safari, qhy 168C, pole master and qhy5L-IIc

For 1.4.6
  • Wifi Hotspot comes up automatically but it takes 1Min 57Sec for the hotspot to show up from power on. Must have rebooted over 50 times and every time it is exactly the same time to the second. Bootup time only is 30 secs
  • If I leave it on Auto, the Wifi always uses the 2.4Ghz band so I manually set to to the 5Ghz band to get the faster speed.
  • I initially had the same issues with the WiFi dropping out but that disappeared after I did a reset of the network configuration with the manual configuration to lock it on the 5GHz band.
  • VNC over 4K is very laggy but at 1920x1080 is it very fast.

Now for my issues (haven't done an update, just downloaded the image)
  • There seems to an issue with my mount and sky safari - If I just plug in my 3 cameras, all the cameras work.
  • If I then add my mount, I need to plug everything in a certain order, otherwise the Polemaster will crash kstars when taking a drak frame or the 5L occasionally does not show up in the indi panel, or all three cameras are unable to take an image and no messages in the indi panel. It is like ekos has lost communications with the cameras. The order is the three cameras first and then my mount before starting the indi server. Mount has to be on the first USB port but the last device to be plugged in
  • If I then add in Sky Safari as an aux device, I see it connecting to the server but when I press connect in Sky Safari on my ipad, I see a message in the indi panel saying the client cannot connect so my ipad is communicating with the Pi but cannot connect to kstars. This occurs in both the Pi3 and Pi4. Works on 1.4.4
  • When I add in Sky Safari and take a dark frame with the Polemaster, kstars crashes, doesn't occur when it is a light frame!!!! Not too much of an issue as I probably would never take a dark frame with my polemaster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 2 months ago #47546
I can't get through more than bout 25 subs with 1.4.6 just freezing. the pi4 is still awake as I can move files from the pictures directory, but kstars just freezes........
4 years 2 months ago #47717

That's too long. Can you run this command?
systemd-analyze blame

What's the output?
4 years 2 months ago #47719
  • Thank you received: 9
I have had the same freezing on a brand new RPi4. The mouse moves but doesn't respond to any clicks.

I also loose ability to control-click which has happened on both the original Stellarmate and the replacement RPi4
4 years 2 months ago #47729
yep that sounds exactly like what I am seeing. I really want to be able to get through zn imaging session with my rpi4 but unfortunately it seems that its just not ready, the freezes render it basically unusable for me right now.

Jaseem, I wonder what is your recommendation for using stellar mate at this stage for full production and imaging ?? do you consider 1.4.6 for the pi4 sd an unstable beta , and not recommended for a real imaging session ?? id 1.4.6 for the pi3 considered stable and useable ?

thanks
4 years 2 months ago #47737
Time to create page: 1.434 seconds