INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Running Stellar Mate from my iMac?

• Thank you received: 0
I just got the Stellar Mate and want to run it from my iMac. I can't find instructions how to do this. I can find instructions for the app but I thought I could use the hotspot and run it all remotely from my iMac using kStars/Ekos? Help please!

OK, so I found the answer to this question on the Stellar Mate website. For running Ekos the website states:

If you are running Ekos within StellarMate OS, then select Equipment is attached to This Computer.
If you are running Ekos on a PC/Mac, then select Equipment is attached to StellarMate.

So what are the pros and cons here? I am guessing that I could only do the second option if I want to run all this from my iMac?
Equipment: Skywatcher HEQ5 - Stellarvue 80mm access - Canon 6D (unmodified) - Stellarvue 50mm Guide Scope - ZWO ASI290MM Mini - Rasp Pi4
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Martin.
4 years 1 month ago #49728

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
It works great. A lot of us use the Stellarmate at the mount and the KStars/Ekos to connect. I'm using a MacBook to control the device inside.

I changed it from the hotspot to infrastructure mode so that it connects to my home network. The Stellarmate can connect to the closest access point, and I can roam the house and still control it. If you look around the forums you will also see quite a few people connect via ethernet to Stellarmate.

If you want to run it both ways it works as well. Just create multiple profiles as needed.
4 years 1 month ago #49778

• Thank you received: 139
I’ve found the most reliable way is to not run KStars/EKOS on the StellarMate, but to instead launch the desktop application (on the Pi) and start the server. You would have to have the StellarMate on the same server as your iMac to do this.

Alternatively, you can use VNC to log into the StellarMate and run KStars/EKOS on the device itself, and only use VNC on your iMac. The iMac has VNC built in. You only have to open a finder window, look in the left sidebar for Network. You will see the StellarMate listed (if connected on your local network). Double click it, press screen share. Put in the StellarMate password “smate” and the VNC window will open so you can control the device from your iMac desktop.
4 years 1 month ago #49779

• Thank you received: 0
"I’ve found the most reliable way is to not run KStars/EKOS on the StellarMate, but to instead launch the desktop application (on the Pi) and start the server. You would have to have the StellarMate on the same server as your iMac to do this."

How do I do this?

Do I connect it to my home wifi??
Equipment: Skywatcher HEQ5 - Stellarvue 80mm access - Canon 6D (unmodified) - Stellarvue 50mm Guide Scope - ZWO ASI290MM Mini - Rasp Pi4
4 years 1 month ago #50103

• Thank you received: 139
Yeah, you’ll need to connect it to your home network. Once you have it set up on your network from your iMac you can connect to it through VNC by opening up a finder window, on the left side finder window column select network, and you’ll see the StellarMate device on your network. Double click it’s name. A new window opens with a button to Screen Share. The password to the StellarMate is “smate”. You’ll now be looking at the StellarMate screen on your Mac. CLose out KStars on the StellarMate which loads by default. On the desktop of the StellarMate is an icon that says INDI Web manager. Launch it. It runs in a browser. In the lower right of the window is a button called (i think) Go To. INDI web server or some thing like that is the option. It opens in a new tab, and lets you select the drivers for your equipment. Pick those and save that profile. Press the start server button on the same page.

Now, on your iMac desktop, load up KStars/EKOS, open EKOS and create an equipment profile with the wizard. Tell it that al your equipment is connected to the StellarMate device. Once the profile is set up and saved, you’ll be able to connect to the equipment like a normal session and run everything from your desktop.

Downloading individual images over WIFI can be slow. I used a power line adapter to run Ethernet into my back yard from a wired hub. But you can minimize those delays by using subframes for focus, and guiding. Alternatively if you like full frame focusing you can knock down binning to 2x2 or 3x3.

Hope that helps.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Andrew Burwell.
4 years 1 month ago #50107

Time to create page: 0.429 seconds