INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to start a new image capture before image upload is complete

• Thank you received: 3
I'm using Kstars/Ekos/Indi on my Macbook laptop computer to talk to my Stellarmate which is directly connected to my CCD cameras, filter wheel, and mount. I use the Ekos Sequence Queue to take multiple images. I have things set to "Upload" the images to my macbook "Client". The uploads take about 25 seconds. That's a long time to wait before starting the next image in the queue. Is it somehow possible to set things so that the next image capture starts as soon as Stellarmate gets the image from my camera, which only takes about a second or two, rather than waiting for it to complete the upload to my laptop computer?
4 years 2 weeks ago #50538

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
You can save it locally to a folder with another monitoring service setup that can transfer its contents as it comes.

Don't ask me how, I've just come across other people here doing that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Vanderbei
4 years 2 weeks ago #50541

• Thank you received: 15
Hi,

I wrote a topic about that with a shell script. The idea is to transfer the image in background (with the & in end of line) during Ekos start a new capture. That work fine only if the capture time is more that the transfer time.

indilib.org/forum/general/4621-accelerat...-local-computer.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric, Robert Vanderbei
4 years 2 weeks ago #50543

• Thank you received: 160
You could have the images stored locally on Stellarmate and access them by way of a remote file system like NFS or Samba.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Vanderbei
4 years 2 weeks ago #50546

Many thanks to the three of you for answering my question. I guess I can figure out how to do it externally to Kstars/Ekos but I must say that I was really hoping that there would be some simple way to make it happen directly in Ekos. Any chance that that might become an option in a future update to Ekos?
4 years 2 weeks ago #50559

• Thank you received: 420
This should be possible to implement but what should happen in case of flat frames? They are typically taken with very short exposure times. If the download of a single frame takes much longer than taking a single frame there will be a queue of frames to be transferred which you will have to wait for anyway.
Honestly the simplest way is to store the images locally and transfer them once you are done imaging.
4 years 2 weeks ago #50562

• Thank you received: 74
try something like Rsync - www.techradar.com/uk/how-to/computing/ap...iles-in-sync-1305698

There are other programs as well :-)

Cant comment of the speed - faster or slower !
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 2 weeks ago #50563

I don't use flat frames. My setup has virtually no vignetting and my camera and filters have essentially no dust. Lucky me. That said, it could be an option that could be turned on and off depending on the exposure time.
4 years 2 weeks ago #50564

I do have rsync on my Mac and I have used it in years past. Will try using it for these downloads. But, I'd still be happier if Ekos had an option to do this automatically.
4 years 2 weeks ago #50565

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds