INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue

2 months 4 days ago 2 months 4 days ago by maxthebuilder.
maxthebuilder
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53606
Speaking of backups (maybe i need to create a separate topic about this).
I have been using Paragon Backup (Windows) for my backups successfully for more than a year.
It's nice since it produces small backups (4-5Gb), not 32Gb (for a 32Gb card) as DiskImager does.
Since SM changed to Raspbian/Buster, Paragon doesn't work anymore. It backs-up but doesn't restore correctly (the card wouldn't boot).
Interesting thing is that Astroberry backs-up/restores just fine. Same Raspbian/Buster...
SM is on RPI4
AB is on RPI3

Max S.
RPI 3 B+ with ABerry and RPI 4 B (4Gb) with SMate.
Nikon D5500 H-a modified. 180 mm f/2.8 antique Nikon. Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8. Rokinon 135mm f/2.
AT72EDII.
ZWO ASI294MC Pro
ZWO ASI120MC-S on ZWO 30F4 MiniScope.
SW AZ-GTi.
SW HEQ5.
iOptron SkyTracker Pro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago
dmsummers
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53609
I'll just confirm that I experienced the exact same issues as described above by Max and Megiddo. I saw available updates, and after applying, I experienced deteriorating capabilities until I didn't have a functional kstars icon on the Pi4 desktop. I also lost the PHD2 icon. In my case, the first hint after update of a problem was an ASI driver in INDI that was corrupt, causing my guidecam and imaging cam to not function. After attempting to apply updates again, I lost kstars and PHD2. In the end (2 days later), I restored from a 1.5.0 backup and just went through the same update process again. I also used a new SD card (probably unnecessary). This time, it worked and now 1.5.2 appears to be fine, including ASI cam INDI driver. Not sure what happened (premature packaging as Max also wondered?), but a good reminder to always keep a backup.

RASA11, Celestron CGX-L, ASI183mc Pro, 60mm guider + ASI290mm mini, ASI EAF focuser, PPB, Rpi4-4Gb+SSD, Powered USB3 hub, hardwire Ethernet.

2 months 3 days ago
El Corazon
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53650
Hi Doug,

I always keep the last functioning SD card unchanged. If it has worked well, I clone it onto a new SD card, then update that one. So in case there is a clear night and a problem with KStars or the system, getting back in business is as easy as restarting the Pi4 with the good SD card and sort out problems with the update later.

Less frustrating than losing a night. And a 32GB fast SD card is just $ 7....

Jo

Atlas Pro AZ-EQ, ASI1600MM-Pro, ASI120MM-S, ES102ED, WO-Z61, Nikon D3300, ASI-EFW, ZWO LRGB,Ha,O3,S2 filter set

2 months 2 days ago 2 months 2 days ago by Megiddo.
Megiddo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Topic Author
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53682
Yeah, I normally do.
I just let it go way too long. And now my card reader is acting up. (A new one is on order)

After rebuilding last night all caught up (even installing ASTAP, which I forgot to do)... I noticed this morning, the Picture files were still not chmoded correctly.
chmoding is still needed.
sudo chmod -R 776 /home/stellarmate/Pictures/*

776 is too much, 666 changes it to read/write across the board.
sudo chmod -R 666 /home/stellarmate/Pictures/*

2 months 2 days ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53687
On Linux, the umask variable determines how the file permissions are set. In general, directories get mode 755 or 775 and files get 644 or 664, depending on the value of umask. On files, the executable bit only gets set (i.e. a file only gets mode 755 or 775) if the file is, well, an executable. So, from the Linux point of view, the file permissions are set correctly.

Having said that, 776 seems a bit on an odd mode to set. It will allow all users to read and write but only the owner and users in the group to execute. Can you explain why you need to have your normal, non-executable, pictures to have exactly that mode?

ASI6200 and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

2 months 2 days ago
Megiddo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Topic Author
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53692

wvreeven wrote: Having said that, 776 seems a bit on an odd mode to set. It will allow all users to read and write but only the owner and users in the group to execute. Can you explain why you need to have your normal, non-executable, pictures to have exactly that mode?

You are exactly right... yeah I could have used and am changing it to 666. I'm lazy and sometimes go to 777, just cause I never have to think of it again.

2 months 1 day ago
Megiddo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Topic Author
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53742
Odd... 666 didn't allow me to move my images to my PC.
so back to 776, which does. Sometimes I get things to work and leave it at that... showing my laziness.

sudo chmod -R 776 /home/stellarmate/Pictures/*

2 months 1 day ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53782
I am not sure if you explained already but how do you transfer the files exactly?

ASI6200 and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

2 months 1 day ago
Megiddo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Topic Author
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53792

wvreeven wrote: I am not sure if you explained already but how do you transfer the files exactly?

I created a shortcut to my Pi: \\192.168.0.XXX\Pictures (XXX being whatever my router gives me, normally the same number)
Then I just open the link and on my PC and drag them over.

2 months 1 day ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53793
That sounds like a Samba solution. Samba is the implementation of Windows file sharing on Linux. You may want to try to set the file permissions option in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and see if that helps.

2 months 17 hours ago 2 months 16 hours ago by Megiddo.
Megiddo
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Topic Author
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53817
I'll look at that... but in the meantime, my quick little shortcut works fine. I'm only letting those who might not know what can be done.

Hot dig-ity... that's it. I was even able to add my other directories (MyScripts and Templates).
I see the file permissions there too.

Thanks wvreeven!!!

Another Edit:

Hmmm, the image files are still being created with: rw-r--r--
I think I have everything set right... /etc/samba/smb.conf

[Pictures]
path = /home/stellarmate/Pictures
browsable =yes
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

create mask = 776
force create mode = 776
security mask = 776
force security mode = 776

directory mask = 776
force directory mode = 776
directory security mask = 776
force directory security mode = 776
#force user= nobody

2 months 14 hours ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
After Latest Update - KStars Launch Issue #53829
That part look OK indeed. How is the user authentication configured?

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds