INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

No ASI Camera after Update - Suspect port mapping

• Thank you received: 50
My optimism has been disappointed - my one device with a FTDI chip (the Pegasus Astro PPB) doesn’t seem to work with Ekos anymore. The command lsusb does list the device but Ekos struggles with and ultimately fails to connect.
3 years 8 months ago #57980

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

And that's what I said above. If you guys can contribute to the Github issue that would be great as well. The more data they have the better. I tried downgrading to Kernel 5.4.35 but still have the same issue with FTDI chipsets making USB on external hub unusable.
3 years 8 months ago #57984

• Thank you received: 86
but it did work with my AZ-GTi mount which used an FTDI EQDir cable.
However, once I switched to HEQ5 which also used an FTDI EQDir cable (different brand/make) things went bad.

This cable works with no issues (for me): www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GZTCC6
How do i report to developers?
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by maxthebuilder.
3 years 8 months ago #58035

• Thank you received: 375
I have started to review linux kernel tree for usb serial - see: github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/drivers/usb/serial
As for now I cannot find a commit that introduces access rights issue on usb bus. Maybe you can find it.
3 years 8 months ago #58050

• Thank you received: 102

That was one of the first things I tried. I tried to replicate the issue on my Linux laptop with the same kernel versions. But I could not replicate it on my laptop. I wanted to be able to do a "git bisect" to find the offending commit. But I suspect the problem is in the Raspberry Pi specific changes, and probably not in vanilla Linux.
3 years 8 months ago #58058

• Thank you received: 375
What you're saying is the problem does not occur on x86/x64 architecture, right? I would be surprised if there is any difference between vanilla and raspberry kernel for drivers/usb/serial branch. Could you do diff between the two?
3 years 8 months ago #58062

• Thank you received: 102

Yes, x64. Debian with prebuilt kernels, as well as custom built kernels, trying to get the exact same kernel version as what's used on the Pi.

When I was going through this exercise, I compared the ftdi_sio.c driver file, and noticed no difference of importance. There are differences, because it seems the Raspberry Pi kernel might be cherry picking changes from newer kernels. Not sure though.
3 years 8 months ago #58154

• Thank you received: 41
Hi All,

I have just run into this problem. Camera tabs come up in indi but will not connect. I usually do a nightly build update every few days so this was all working last weekend. I am running an Odroid XU4 (running Ubuntu Mate 18.04) with a powered USB3 hub (motor focus and dew heater electronics all in one box so do not have access to the odroid based USB ports only the hub. I am able to connect to the cameras using PhD2 and loop images from both cameras so this would suggest that the problem is with EKOS/indi.
I tried to roll back to the last stable version and encountered some errors and appear to be stuck on 3.5 beta, although I will keep trying but thought that I would post in case there is a quick fix :)
Are there any work arounds currently for non Rpi single board computers?

Cheers,

Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58175

• Thank you received: 56
Jasem posted this on the first page of this thread:
sudo rpi-update e1050e94821a70b2e4c72b318d6c6c968552e9a2

Worked perfectly for me.
3 years 8 months ago #58182

• Thank you received: 50
This was a way to return to the old Raspberry Pi kernel 4.19 for Raspberry Pi users from over three weeks ago. I don't believe you would be using this with Ubuntu. There have been a number of further tweaks to kernel 5.4 from RPi.org since then which for me have solved this problem. My ASI cameras are all operating properly now. One issue which has been reported elsewhere continues - it seems that USB serial interface adapter devices from FTDI don't work consistemtly. Typical products that suffer as a consequence are SW mount EQMOD EQDirect cables wuth FTDI chips, and my Pegasus Astro Pocket Power Box which includes an FDTI brand chip.But again this is in the RPi implementations.
3 years 8 months ago #58185

Hi rishgarrod,

Sorry I should have said that I had tried everything suggested in the post with no effect. I think that there are differences in the Ubuntu OS on the Odroid XU4. It did not recognised the rpi-update (not a Pi I suppose :)

I appreciate any advice though.
Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58197

Hi Avocette,
This is all a bit curious.
I wound back to the last stable version last night only to find that this is now the 3.5.0 beta. So I will have to find some other way of rolling back further.
Debug suggests that both my ASI294MCpro and ASI120MM-S are being recognised but the indi gui only has three tabs and no connection options. Connect and disconnect on the main tab do nothing.
PHD2 running in the same system picks up the cameras OK so there does not appear to be an issue with the USB etc. I am no expert but this has happened since the last nightly build. Hopefully if I can find a stable version before 3.5.0 I should be able to get back up and running.
Anyway I have a alternative testing framework with a RPi4 running Ubuntu 20.04 which I updated a couple of days ago but did not test.
Oh well the weather is very overcast for this weekend so no prospect of getting the gear outside.
If I find a solution I will post.

Cheers,

Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58198

Time to create page: 0.833 seconds