INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Enabling two headless monitors

• Thank you received: 4
Hello fellows. I generally access my SM through VNC and was wondering if it would be possible to use two monitors via VNC to SM.
From what I saw the SM is configured to run headless since in the config.txt file the hdmi_force_hotplug parameter is set to 1 and this forces a detection of an HDMI monitor even if nothing is connected to the HDMI port.
My question is, can you force the SM to detect as if there were 2 monitors each connected to an HDMI port and in this way access each of them via VNC? (One using port 5900 and the other using port 5901 on the VNC client).
Any idea?
Thanks
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Andres Rossi.
3 years 6 months ago #59706

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
In theory, yes, you can have multiple VNC sessions. I don't know how the SM is configured, but you may need to use LightDM on the SM as I don't think this works with GDM. (maybe KDE has a display manager that works too - I've not played with that.) So, install LightDM and a VNC server (eg: x11vnc), You'll have to do some reading to get the niggly bits figured out -I haven't done this for years, and the details have popped of the stack. You'll probably have to configure x11vnc correctly. Google is your friend ...

jmh
3 years 6 months ago #59707

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic Enabling two headless monitors

I am running raspbian and running tightvncserver. This run independently on main screen so it should be run multiple times.

systemd starting script /etc/systemd/system/vnc.service
[Unit]
Description=VNC server
After=graphical.target

[Service]
Type=forking
User=pi
WorkingDirectory=/home/pi
ExecStart=tightvncserver -geometry 1920x1080 :1
ExecStop=tightvncserver -kill :1

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
3 years 6 months ago #59729

Time to create page: 1.105 seconds