INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stellarmate, EDUP 802.11n, and cold weather (below 0C)

• Thank you received: 4
So tonight I was trying to set up a new combo of mount/camera/guider after updating my Stellarmate device. After the update, I tested connecting to it via the stellarmate AP, rebooted it, tested again, all looked good.

Then I went outside. The wifi never went active. My phone didn't see it, my laptop didn't see it. it just wasn't coming up. Since the point was to test using stellarmate, I packed everything away and came back in. Plugging in the stellarmate indoors, the network promptly came up.

So... I don't think it's that cold, it's about between -5C and 0C. But where I would be traveling this time of year, it could as low as -15C. The EDUP USB Wifi adapter has a nominal operating temperature range of 0-40C. I don't have anything else I can point at.

Anyone else have trouble with cold temperatures?

roland
3 years 2 months ago #65178

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At this point, I'm not sure if it's the EDUP wifi adapter or the Stellarmate device itself. The blue wifi "on" indicator never goes on on the EDUP. Indoors, it works fine. And I also tested just letting the Stellarmate bring up the RPi internal wifi without having the EDUP plugged in at all. That works indoors, too. But outdoors, in temperatures below 0C, I never see the stellarmate SSID, even without plugging in any equipment. Just power it up and wait. And wait....

This is frustrating :-/
3 years 2 months ago #65573

Okay, I think what is having problems with the cold is my stellarmate power supply. Why that tiny brick would have a problem with the cold, I don't know, but swapping it out to get power from a powered USB hub has resolved everything.
3 years 2 months ago #65575

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds