INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO 2600MC is not working - Crashes consistently after two subs

• Thank you received: 11
Sorry to hear that.

A week or so I posted three more crash dumps that I had so I am hoping this helps with troubleshooting for the next version of EKOS.

These new camera’s are starting to see wider adoption now so I hope the awesome crew maintaining EKOS can finally nail this down.
3 years 10 hours ago #68848

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
I've just started using a 2600MC with Stellarmate on my 4Gb Pi. I've taken about 100 subs now over three nights with no issues. 

In case it helps bottom out this issue for others - the cam is connected with USB3.0 cables to the USB hub in a Pegasus Powerbox Advanced. Subs have mostly been 300s, so quite a bit of time between saving each one. Guide cam is a ZWO120MM.
I'm running Stellarmate v1.5.6 stable and connecting to EKOS from my laptop over VNC. Images are saved locally on the Pi.
I view each sub in the FITS viewer but with Auto DeBayer and Auto WCS off.  Since this is the stable build, I don't have the new Adaptive Sampling option.

In the ASI2600 settings, I'm saving Raw 16bit files and I don't think I've changed the bandwidth but it's set to 80, with Auto Bandwidth off.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Andy McGregor.
2 years 11 months ago #68869

Very similar setup to me with VNC, PegasusAstro etc. I save onto a USB3 stick that’s connected directly to the Pi4.

I don’t think I’ve seen any comments from Jasem and others from the most recent crash dumps though.
2 years 11 months ago #68888

• Thank you received: 16
Ran an imaging session the other night with latest nightly on SM via VNC. Got through lights and darks, but when it came to flats, I forgot to set a decent delay time between images, and Ekos crashed after about the third image. After a restart and setting about a six second delay, it ran the flats sequence.

Seems if Ekos tries to write the very large files created by the 2600 too quickly (short exposures like bias and flats), it crashes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 11 months ago #69018

• Thank you received: 4
I'm also seeing crashes which seem related to file size. I'm using the QY268C, which uses the same sensor.
Latest Stable build, using auto-debayer and auto-compute HFR (so I can see these values for focus monitoring).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
2 years 11 months ago #69066

• Thank you received: 109
I suspect the persisting speed of the captured data is slower than the incoming capture data rate in some cases.  The USB memory buffer is set to 256M, but your cameras are producing very large file sizes. If this buffer fills before the image is persisted, there is only room for 1 or 2 images in memory.

To verify this, try running this just before a capture session `sudo echo 512 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/usbfs_memory_mb` .  If that gives you more frames captured before crashing, then you may have an overrun.  This doesn't fix the problem, but may show where the problem is, and you will want to find a faster way to persist the image data.

Jim

2 years 11 months ago #69074

• Thank you received: 4
Thanks - I'll give it a try tonight. I'm also wondering if it might be related to this FITSView bug mentioned by KNRO - indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/9059-fitsvi...3c-kstars-3-5-2.html
2 years 11 months ago #69081

• Thank you received: 420

Whether it is related to the FITS viewer or not should be easy to test. Simply disable the FITS viewer (in the KStars configuration) and see if that solves the crashes.
2 years 11 months ago #69088

• Thank you received: 86
I just got my ASI2600MC.
Had 4 successful sessions with INDI running on RPI4 (latest SM stable) and KStars/Ekos on Windows client.
No problems.

Tonight, however, I ran into this very problem.
Running everything on RPI4.
After 2-3 frames it crashes consistently with a "unable to allocate memory for temporary bayer buffer: std::bad_alloc" message
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by maxthebuilder.
2 years 11 months ago #69515

• Thank you received: 86
OK. Disabled Auto Debayer and Adaptive Sampling - all seems to be good now. Ufff...
Going to a dark place on Friday with my mobile setup - first time with ASI2600.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by maxthebuilder.
2 years 11 months ago #69518

Has anyone tested whether 3.5.3 brings back the ability to show debayered images?

Or are we stuck with this on these newer camera’s with larger sensors even though devices like Pi’s have enough extra memory in theory to allow this feature to be used without crashing.
2 years 10 months ago #70937

It should work fine, but remember we're still limited by the 32bit OS. I think that we don't see 64bit OS before the next stable release of Debian.
2 years 10 months ago #70959

Time to create page: 0.929 seconds