INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Crashes

• Thank you received: 1

Ekos Crashes was created by Kevin Vella

So I'm posting this after what I believed to be a solid system for my stellarmete steup.

I'm currently using a raspberry pi 4 8gb with stellarmate os and all devices are powered by a usb hub with 3 amp power for the pi. I connect the camera and guider directly to the pi.
I then connect to the stalemate wifi server from my home PC through by local network.

Image transfer are sent to my main pc through wifi. This has proved to be around 20 seconds of transfer.

Yesterday I went out again and the transfer was 120 seconds. However the worst part is that Ekos crashed after 1 hour after imaging.
This is ofcourse a huge bummer as you need to initiate guiding and all sorts of settings again.

My options to try to solve this is

Install Kstars and ekos on the pi and remote on the PI
Save images on the PI with an external storage device

This way I'm not at the mercy of the network any more.

Anyone is doing it like so? Am I doing something wrong?
3 years 2 months ago #67340

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 56

Replied by Rishi Garrod on topic Ekos Crashes

I run Kstars remotely on a Macbook and always save my files on the Rpi. I do not use any external storage. A 64GB SD card provides more than enough storage for multiple nights of imaging.
I also don't rely on the Rpi4 wifi. I have an old Airport which I attach to the Rpi with a cable and then access the Wifi on the Airport.
This has been very stable for me.
3 years 2 months ago #67344

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by W J Drijfhout on topic Re:Ekos Crashes

The client/server architecture of INDI/KStars/Ekos allows for a lot of flexibility to adjust to your specific situation. I have mostly used it with on-telescope server and run the client remotely on Mac. But to eliminate download times (wasted observation time), I recently switched to running all local and screen-share into it.
Whichever solution you choose a solid WiFi network is very important. I have found the Pi hotspot to be too weak for my situation, and have mostly used a dedicated non internet-connected router, strategically placed relative to the telescope. Now working on extending the regular home network with a mesh-repeater to extend coverage in garden.
You may want to check the frequency your Pi started using. If it switched to 2.4GHz, this is well known to interact with USB3 leading to all sorts of erratic behavior. Best is to force your Pi to use the 5GHz band. You may want to try and see if this solves your issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3 years 2 months ago #67375

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Will Gauvin on topic Ekos Crashes

I use an external USB drive, it's 1TB so I can keep the data on there. As I also have a Linux server that I do the image processing on I can also make sure user ids are the same for what I need, so this allows me to easily unplug from the RPi and plug in to my server and I have access to all my files.

I definitely have been remoting in to the RPi, as the RPi4 wifi is a problem even with my local wifi network I can get heaps of dropped packets or to the point the wifi drops out all together. I also have on hand an ethernet cable while I'm trying to get things setup for the night. On my latest RPi4 build using Manjaro RPi4 I'm also setting up Wifi using a USB dongle but haven't quiet got there yet and it requires a tainted kernel module of the drivers.
3 years 2 months ago #67385

Time to create page: 0.809 seconds