INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stellarmate dont start after update

• Thank you received: 20
Yesterday I did an update of my stellarmate, running on raspi 4 4GB. As far as I remember the only file updated was stellarmateudevmanager.

Today I want to start stellarmate, but it hangs with blinking cursor just before showing the grey stellarmate screen!

Of course I have a backup of my system. After copiing the backup to my working SSD everything was ok. I tried again the update (see attached screenshot, there were some more files updated since the backup was a little bit older). Result was again hanging with blinking cursor!

The versions of the files which are ok:
stellarmateupdater: 1.0-stable 202009101254
stellarmateudevmanager: 1.5.7-stable 202103031534

Ha sanyone observed the same behaviour?

3 years 1 month ago #68764
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update: I did an update file by file. After every file I did an restart. Every update worked including stellarmateudevmanager.

After updating stellarmateupdater the system hangs with blinking cursor!

So stellarmateupdater seems to be the culprit
3 years 1 month ago #68795

I just double checked: this happens also if I update ONLY stellarmateupdater. So there is something wrong with it!
3 years 1 month ago #68798

Have you changed your /boot/cmdline.txt? If yes that's the issue, stellarmateupdater updates this file, so if you changed it manually, it overrides it.
3 years 1 month ago #68832

• Thank you received: 140
3 years 1 month ago #68833

Thank you for your reply, Jasem. First I thought, yes, thats the case because I did change the cmdline.txt to start from SSD (usb-storage.quirk...). So I tried updating the stellarmateupdater only. See the results below.

This is the old cmdline.txt:

usb-storage.quirks=152d:0579:u splash quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles console=tty1 console=serial0,115200 root=PARTUUID=24a4c23c-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait logo.nologo

The new cmdline.txt is:

splash quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles console=tty1 console=serial0,115200 root=PARTUUID=d9b3f436-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait logo.nologo usbcore.usbfs_memory_mb=1024

First thing I tried was to include the quirk in the new cmdline.txt. Result: blinking cursor

Second: additionally remove usbcore.usb.... Result: blinking cursor

third: copy the old cmdline.txt to the "new" system. Result: blinking cursor

Do you have an idea, what can cause this? System starts, this coloured screen comes and after that the blinking cursor... After copy the backup to the SSD it is again ok...
3 years 1 month ago #68834

Perhaps my last post was a little bit misleading.

Even after changing cmdline.txt in different ways stellarmate still DON'T start after updateing stellarmateupdater, it still ends up in the blinking cursor.
I dont know whats going on there. Its a "standard" stellarmate installation on a Raspberry 4B 4GB, starting from Stellarmate 1.5.6. Only change is the quirk in the cmdline.txt to start from SSD and installing FireCapture

At the moment I'm working with the old one, hoping that there is no drawback doing this.
3 years 4 weeks ago #68910

Do you mind posting your cmdline.txt here?
3 years 4 weeks ago #68914

Hi Jasem,
here are the cmdline.txt files.

My old one:

File Attachment:

File Name: cmdline-backup.txt
File Size:0 KB

and the file from the updated version:

File Attachment:

File Name: cmdline-new.txt
File Size:0 KB

As I wrote already, I did different trials to get it to run. But always ended up with a blinking cursor. Thats what I tried:

First thing I tried was to include the quirk in the new cmdline.txt. Result: blinking cursor

Second: additionally remove usbcore.usb.... Result: blinking cursor

third: copy the old cmdline.txt to the "new" system. Result: blinking cursor

3 years 4 weeks ago #68915
Attachments:

So if the working cmdline.txt does not work, then perhaps it is something else? Anyway to use recovery mode?
3 years 4 weeks ago #68920

How do I enter recovery mode? I tried holding SHIFT during startup, but nothing happens.

What does the new stellarmateupdater changes except the cmdline.txt?

As I wrote before (just to remember): The issue with the blinking cursor happens if I update just the stellarmateupdater, nothing else.
3 years 4 weeks ago #68922

Do you mean ALT-SHIFT-F2? Nothing happens if I click this. No console opens, just blinking cursor...
3 years 4 weeks ago #68924

Time to create page: 0.901 seconds