INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

StellarMate OS for Linux

• Thank you received: 7
I saw that Macsales.com has some great deals on Intel Mac minis with 4 thunderbolt ports. I couldn't resist. These can be turned into Linux machines. Since RPI's are pretty slow running 61 mega-pixel cameras would it be too difficult to offer StellarMate OS for ubuntu?

Kurt
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Kurt Lanes.
2 years 8 months ago #74433

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic StellarMate OS for Linux

And how will you put Linux on a MAC, as if your he ent yet tried, let me tell you it’s pretty much impossible without issues….I tried and it would not work, it glitched all the time…
2 years 8 months ago #74437

• Thank you received: 20
I've run Ubuntu on one of my 2012 i7 Mac Mini's and I don't recall having any issues. Windows as well. A problem with the newer ones is they have replaced the 4 USB A ports with either 2 or 4 USB C / Thunderbolt ports, so external adapters or a docking station are required in order to get enough USB A ports for my gear. If you can live with that, it may work. I've not tested the newer ones with Linux, and I didn't use the Thunderbolt port on mine, so no guarantees.
You know, Kstars/Ekos/Indi all run on the Mac. Until I picked up a Raspberry Pi last year, I was running it on the Mac Mini.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by David Allmon.
2 years 8 months ago #74438

Replied by Kurt Lanes on topic StellarMate OS for Linux

I actually would be happier leaving it as OSX but I don’t know how to get the nightly builds on the Mac. The RPI 4B 8GB takes over 15 seconds to download a frame from my Sony A7R4 and my MBP does this in around 5 seconds.

Brew loads an older version of Kstars. I found an old script on GitHub for building for Mac from source but it failed about 30 minutes into the build.

I plan to mount the mini on the dec axis and see if I can connect to the CEM70 using a Bluetooth adapter so I can have no cables across the mount.

Kurt
2 years 8 months ago #74439

• Thank you received: 565

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic StellarMate OS for Linux

@rlancaste has some scripts for building KStars on a mac, if you want to go that route.
github.com/rlancaste/kstars-on-osx-craft.
I haven't used it in a while, but I know they exist.

Also, you can run ubuntu on a VM on the mac. You could then get the nightly builds, or build them yourself.
I do that all the time (I use VMWare Fusion, but free alternatives also work).
I use that for development and don't attach to physical devices, but you could try that too.

Hy
2 years 8 months ago #74449

Hy

That is an outstanding idea. Thanks for that. I already have Parallels for the Mac.

Kurt
2 years 8 months ago #74451

Circling back a little bit Hy. On your idea of running a VM how about a VM version of StellarMate. I bought StellarMate OS a few days ago because I wanted to see how it was to drive from a tablet. Quite a few guys using ASIAIR and live stacking seemed attractive. I started out with Astroberry and then moved to the Mac but thought fewer wires across the mount were attractive. I guess I forgot about the 15 to 20 seconds to download a camera image. The Mac mini would solve that. A StellarMate install iso might be a great idea.

Kurt
2 years 8 months ago #74458

• Thank you received: 565

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic StellarMate OS for Linux

I don't know, I suppose it's possible to run Raspberry Pi OS on the VM, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Let us know. Perhaps Jasem has heard?
2 years 8 months ago #74461

It would need to be compiled to run on an x86 CPU. The VM can't emulate an Arm processor as far as I know. Raspberry Pi org has a Debian distro for PC and Mac whcih features the RPi desktop and "most" of the programs that come with Raspberry pi OS.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by David Allmon.
2 years 8 months ago #74463

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic StellarMate OS for Linux

Hi, I am using a  Mac Mini 1.66 Core DUO with an hacked firmware and a replaced T7600 2.33ghz Mobile CPU, 3GB RAM and a 500GB hard disk drive.
It's a common hack for this model. VGA was also hacked externaly (DVI->VGA adapter with resistors) so it can be used without a monitor.
It has 120mmm external FAN to keep it very cool, it's not a need but... it's cooler :-D
It holds Lubuntu 20.04.02 (LxQt)  hands on without any problems at all. I am using it as a INDI Server (With VNC/SSH access) but it can be used as Server/Client.
It works way better than the RPi 3 I had and I dont have any USB problems. 4 USB ports also, very handy and it's a cheaper Mac Mini model.I have acquired this model only for this.

Details on the firmware hack if someone is interested:
mac mini 1.66 Ghz upgrade | MacRumors Forums
macmini 1,1 to 2,1 EFI firmware update · GitHub  

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by nMAC.
2 years 8 months ago #74471
Attachments:

I installed Raspberry Pi Desktop on the Mac Mini i7 with 16gb RAM to little success. I could get the OS to work, but Kstars was 3.0.0 and Debian is not as friendly as I had hoped. I wiped it and installed Ubuntu 20.04 and the Jasem PPAs, and it is up and running grabbing frames off of my camera. I had trouble with the PPA timing out halfway through the upgrade, but it eventually gave up and worked. The one thing I have left to do is fine-tune the VNC so I get higher quality screen data. It is noticibly more perky than the MacOS Catalina that I had on it. So I spent about two hours on Ubuntu, mainly because I didn't know that 20.04 comes with Vino already installed and running.
2 years 8 months ago #74478

I should get my Mac Mini 2008 Monday. Today I installed Kubuntu on Parallels 17 trial on my MBP 2018. (Parallels Tools can't load on Ubuntu using 15.) I installed Kstars/Indi Nightly and ran as test on my Sony A7R4. Image download took 1.49 seconds compared to 18-20+ seconds on the RPI 4B 8GB and something around 5 sec running Kstars on the MBP. Go figure that. I was impressed. Kunbuntu was from the .iso on their site. Spent less than a hour on all of this. Thanks again to Hy for this suggestion. When I get my Mini I will only need to copy the VM there.

I still would like to try live stacking on a tablet.

Kurt
2 years 8 months ago #74484

Time to create page: 0.866 seconds