INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Wishlist. GPhoto Burst Mode

• Thank you received: 226
GPhoto is capable of supporting Burst Mode. In which it will capture images to RAM and download simultaneously. Implementing this feature could save valuable time between captures by allowing for an exposure to start while the previous image is downloading from the camera. Although the delay may only be a few seconds for a local download, it can be significantly longer over a network.
I thought one way to implement it would be to set the burst in one of 4 modes:
  1. Manual - Set number of burst frames
  2. Ad-infinitum - Single trigger until stopped
  3. Stop for Dithering - Frames equal to Dither 'N' frames
  4. Basic - Equal to number of captures in sequence, no dithering
This should provide a flexible way to plan consecutive subs with minimum downtime. It could also be handy for quick bursts to capture events such as an ISS transit.
I imagine this would require a pretty big overhaul of the capture sequence features to trigger captures properly and keep in sync with the frame count as subs successfully download. But I still think it is worth some consideration. Thank you.
2 years 3 months ago #78729

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks Andrew. Btw, there is now a "Fast Exposure" mode in INDI you can enable. It's similar but applicable to all cameras. Once enabled, the next exposure is started immediately. The image is downloaded from the camera, but as soon as INDI receives it, it starts the next exposure (i.e. it doesn't wait for the client to ask it to start next exposure). Does this help?
2 years 3 months ago #78741

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Wishlist. GPhoto Burst Mode

Thank you. I will have to check that out.
2 years 3 months ago #78779

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds