INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ODroid C2 IR control for slew/focus

• Thank you received: 10
The Odroid C2 has an IR sensor. I have an Apple IR remote control. It has up/down/left/right/select pad then menu and play buttons.

I'm thinking that it's possible to provide control for manual movement/focus using the IR control.

I know there's a joystick control - can that do focus too?
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
7 years 10 months ago #8052

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I think it's a case of indi driver mapping to the same format as the joystick (acting as a joystick).

indilib.org/support/tutorials/135-contro...with-a-joystick.html
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
7 years 10 months ago #8053

You can map any buttons to any function in any driver. Is the Apple IR remote control identified as a gamepad device under Linux or something else? If it is something else, then you need to write a driver for it just like the joystick driver. The 2nd step is to map functionalities you require to which driver you wish, again, in the same principle as the joystick integration.
7 years 10 months ago #8055

I was going by this: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=8062

It'll need it's own driver in the same way as the joystick driver. Possibly combine it with the TFT as a feedback/menu mechanism.

Currently this idea is, along with the TFT, in that research phase.
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by NickK.
7 years 10 months ago #8058

More info (type, NEC protocol): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Remote
Also some ubuntu support already exists for the NEC protocol: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=8062
Info on using IR: kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Set_up_LIRC

So in theory, a single NEC protocol INDI plugin could work for most remotes (including old TV remotes).
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by NickK.
7 years 10 months ago #8073

Just reading up, LIRC is good - I've just installed it on my intel ubuntu VM then switched the Apple IR sensor on the MBP to the VM. It knows the Mac Mini remote too.

Development wise it looks like using LIRC is a good move because it handles the remote. More info here: www.lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.ht...figuration-decisions for design and configuration data.

So a modified joystick driver (IRRemoteDriver perhaps) could then use LIRC via a /var/run/lirc/lircd input file.

Question is - would it be better to upgrade the joystick driver or create a new driver completely based on the joystick driver. Any guidance that kstars could use quickly and efficiently would be good.
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
7 years 10 months ago #8116

Time to create page: 0.783 seconds