INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon StarGo driver: Request for added functionality - Motorized PA

• Thank you received: 54
Wishlist item:

A number of KStars/EKOS/indi users possess the Avalon M-Zero OBS mount with the motorized PA option that connect to the AUX1 and AUX2 ports so they can drive the elevation and azimuth stepper motors. It would be a great add-on if the capability of controlling both AUX output ports could be implemented in the StarGo driver. The Stargo driver already has the functionality for a focuser on the AUX1 output port so I wishfully assume that adding the AUX2 control in the driver may not be that difficult. I looked at the driver but it's somewhat out of my league, unfortunately.

I don't know if there is interest and, most importantly, time from one of the Avalon StarGo driver authors to add that feature. It could be that the user either selects that AUX1 be used as a focuser, as is currently implemented, or AUX1 and AUX2 be used to perform the elevation and azimuth mount movements needed for polar alignment.

I can contribute to the driver modifications if someone guides me and I will be able to test it as I own an M-Zero OBS.

Thanks for your interest n this matter.

Gilles
1 year 4 months ago #88321

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Gilles,
isn’t it possible to use the AUX1 port? Or do you use it already for focusing?

Wolfgang
1 year 4 months ago #88519

Hello Wolfgang,

The issue with my request is to enable the use of AUX2 in addition to AUX1, so AUX1 can control the azimuth stepper motor, and AUX2 can control the elevation (altitude) stepper motor for the Polar Alignment procedure.

AUX1 is currently available with the driver but AUX2 is not. I do not think that the focus functionality is required for the motorized PA procedure as we only need to activate the stepper motors forward or backward to correct for the PA error.

Let me know if you need more info and thanks for inquiring.

Gilles
1 year 4 months ago #88544

• Thank you received: 370
The simplest way would indeed be copying the AUX1 function and creating a second focuser on AUX2. Would that work for you?
1 year 4 months ago #88562

That is an excellent idea and it could be refined if needed. Thanks!
1 year 4 months ago #88573

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds