INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re-solve at the last step of polar alignment

• Thank you received: 8
Hi all,
I've recently watched some videos on the NINA software and saw something about their new polar alignment plugin that made me wonder how difficult it would be to implement in Ekos.
They basically do and redo the final plate solving after the second rotation to confirm and update the PA error on the screen. This is genious!
Instead of trying to visually put a star in the right spot, which can be difficult depending on the OTA used, just looking at numbers updating (slowly) on the screen is surely better.
It actually could be even better than what NINA does, as right now it just takes frame after frame solving everytime, while a button could just be pressed to update the error reading.
Thoughts?
10 months 3 weeks ago #92698

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
I watched this NINA video on polar alignment
(up to about 7:00) and the NINA scheme shown there is virtually identical to the Ekos polar alignment refresh scheme known as "Plate Solve" (as opposed to one of the "Move Star" schemes). Have you tried the Ekos "Plate Solve" scheme for polar alignment?
10 months 3 weeks ago #92700

I have to admit, beacuse of personal issues it's been a while since I last used Ekos, but I used it for years.

As far as I'm aware, the only way to correct for the error is place the line (don't remember if it's purple) over a star and while you move your mount just keep an eye on it and send it to the end of the line.
NINA seems to plate solve to show you the actual error, so in that regard it seems different to me.

Am I missing something on the Ekos side? Please tell me I've done it wrong for years ;)
10 months 3 weeks ago #92701

Well this is embarassing. To say the least.

Thanks Hy for the polite response, it is indeed "just" as I was asking.

I'll just use the opportunity to thank all Ekos devs, you're even anticipating my needs :D
10 months 3 weeks ago #92702

Well, running it in simulation mode I actually cought a little bug.

Since there's no way to stop the refreshing once you started, I clicked the stop button but that's to end the entire procedure, so it would be nice to be able to pause and restart the solving.

But that's not all: if you press stop like I did, you get a prompt if you're really sure, but even if you click no, the refreshing has already stopped and the button to start it is greyed out, so yeah, if you press stop there's no turning back despite the confirmation screen.
10 months 3 weeks ago #92703

Thanks for finding that bug. I've reproduced and I'll try and patch it in the latest software.

There is no pausing of the refresh. You can just let it run until you're done.

Hy
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Hy Murveit.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92711

Thanks Hy!

Just out of curiosity, how long has the Plate Solve scheme been present in Ekos?
10 months 2 weeks ago #92719

Fabio,

According to git, I introduced it to the nightlies/beta software on June 9, 2022, and was released at part of KStars 3.6.0 around July 29, 2022.

When I introduce a major feature like that, I like to start a forum thread describing it.
Here is the link for that one: indilib.org/forum/general/11816-announci...ignment-changes.html

When Jasem releases a new version of KStars, he often mentions the new features on his blog.
Here's his entry for v3.6.0 knro.blogspot.com/2022/07/kstars-v360-released.html
There are also all sorts of stellarmate videos he does, and it likely got included there (not sure).

Also, there's the KStars Handbook, docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kstars/kstars/kstars.pdf which describes this starting on page 123.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's easy to miss changes to KStars/Ekos, but we do try and advertise new features.
Hy
10 months 2 weeks ago #92721

Time to create page: 0.768 seconds