INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Add settle down time after auto guiding start or resume

• Thank you received: 5
Currently Ekos supports setting settle time in align module, but there's no similar setting in guide module.

After guiding is started or resumed from dithering, it is better to wait several seconds before capturing the next light frame. So I hope that there is an option for this purpose in guide module: a settle down time setting. When settle down time is greater than 0 s, a delay should be added before capturing the next light frame after guiding is started or resumed from dithering.

Though I can set a delay in capture module, I think adding settle down time setting in guide module will make things more clear.
Main Scope: GSO RC8 (195mm f/8.2)
Focuser: MoonLite 1.5" for RC
Mount: AZ-EQ6
Guider: Moravian OAG with Moravian G1-2000M
Primary Cam: Moravian G2-3200
Filter: Johnson-Cousin BVI ; SDSS g' r' i' z' ; Strömgren b, Strömgren v, DDO-51, H-Alpha (3nm), H-Alpha(13.6nm)
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by starrybird.
5 years 9 months ago #26291

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This is in the Guide options under "Dither"
5 years 9 months ago #26292

• Thank you received: 420
It probably depends on the setup and would require testing but how many seconds would you typically recommend for the settle down time?
5 years 9 months ago #26294

I noticed that this settle time is the delay after dithering and before guide resuming. My expectation is the delay after guide resuming. I am not very sure that settle time is the delay after guide resuming.
Filter: Johnson-Cousin BVI ; SDSS g' r' i' z' ; Strömgren b, Strömgren v, DDO-51, H-Alpha (3nm), H-Alpha(13.6nm)
5 years 9 months ago #26295

I usually settle for 5s after dithering and 15s after guide resuming to ensure the mount is stable enough. The settle time under "Dither" seems to be the delay between the dither and guide resuming, so that's why I said I add delay in capture module between each frame because this delay performs after resuming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
5 years 9 months ago #26296

• Thank you received: 420

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
5 years 9 months ago #26297

• Thank you received: 160

That's exactly my impression when using ditherring. I had hoped settle time was the time between re-starting guiding and taking the next picture but it doesn't look like it. I might be wrong though.
5 years 9 months ago #26323

• Thank you received: 2
Hello,

I have the same issue: when Autofocus is pausing the guiding, then starting it again, the next image is captured without any delay.
After Autofocus, the star can have drifted a lot, and we need to wait a bit before capturing.

Thanks.
Regards,
Florian
5 years 8 months ago #27444

We have the same discussion here indilib.org/forum/ekos/3466-lost-star-wh....html?start=48#27333 but I think no changes have been made yet. Unfortunately I am not in a position to make changes to the code myself.
5 years 8 months ago #27470

• Thank you received: 94
Hi everyone
I find the pause after dither in the guide module works fine with the internal guider. With PHD2, I add a wait to the capture instead. I think that amounts to the same thing (?).
5 years 8 months ago #27471

The pause is after dither but before guiding is resumed. That's why it fails to bring guiding into a stable state before the next picture is taken.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 8 months ago #27472

• Thank you received: 155
I was wondering why I was getting a blurred image after dithering, even though I had a 10 second delay set.
I noticed this weekend that as soon as the guiding resumed, the shutter opened. I need a delay between guiding and shutter control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 8 months ago #27476

Time to create page: 3.083 seconds