INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EKOS equipment manager with different focuser draw tube lengths

• Thank you received: 139
I have two equipment profiles. One for an RC6 with Moonlite focuser, and another for a 102mm APO with Moonlite focuser. Because the focusers are the same brand, I noticed that the driver under the equipment manager maintains the the same settings for either device as if it's the same device.

Where this causes me an issue is that the draw tube length on the APO is around 28,400 ticks on the stepper motor, and for the RC6 it's around 4,500. So, if I've been imaging with one and the max range is set to 4,500, then switch to the other is 28,400, I have to manually update the max range even though I'm loading a new profile. Is there any way to store the settings separately per profile?
5 years 8 months ago #27164

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The quick way to do this is to edit the drivers XML file /usr/share/indi/drivers.xml
Then find the moonlight driver, like this:
<device label="MoonLite">
                <driver name="MoonLite">indi_moonlite_focus</driver>
                <version>1.0</version>
        </device>
Simply copy this and directly below it, add another driver, so you'll end up with something like this:
<device label="MoonLite RC6">
                <version>1.0</version>
        </device>
<device label="MoonLite APO">
                <version>1.0</version>
        </device>

So next time, you can select these drivers and once you save the config, they will be saved to different config files.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hellriegel, Jim, Bernd Limburg, Paul Muller
5 years 8 months ago #27168

• Thank you received: 109
Very handy, I have this exact same issue. Thanks!
5 years 8 months ago #27349

• Thank you received: 19
Today I struggled over that problem. I'm planning to buy a second Pegasus DMFC for my second scope. So I added the additional lines in the drivers.xml. When I work locally on my Raspi (with kstars 3.5.0) it works. I have three focusers to choose (the original one and two separate for my two scopes). I can have two different setups now, but only if I work locally.

My standard procedure is to work at my PC remotely on the Raspi. I also changed the drivers.xml at PC site, so I can choose the different focusers. I work over INDI hub. The problem now is, that I only can work with the original driver, doesn't matter what focuser I choose....

Due to that finding I get back to my Raspi and work there remote over INDI hub. Result is the same as on my PC: I only get the original focuser but not the separate ones, despite the fact that I can choose the seperate drivers from the list...

Do I have to change some other settings/files when working remotely?
3 years 2 months ago #65167

Try using the Driver Alias feature in Tools --> Devices --> Custom Drivers. Not sure if it will help with remote, but maybe start KStars on remote and use it there.
3 years 2 months ago #65189

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately that doesn't work. I tried it to have the same custom drivers on each pc/raspi, but I got always one setting... If I changed e.g. a presetting in the one custom driver it changes also the other...

I also found, that I have to use the INDI webmanager, maybe this is the reason it dont work?

Would be very nice if it would be possible to get this work, but at the moment I can live with that,
3 years 2 months ago #65345

• Thank you received: 23
Amazing! Such a simple idea, but effective!
3 years 2 months ago #65668

• Thank you received: 15
Hi,

I have to revive this old thread again, because the solutions doesn't work for me anymore.

I have Astroberry on RPi4 with 2 ZWO EAF focusers in 2 setups with differing maxpositions. In /usr/share/indi/indi_asi.xml I created 2 devices:

<devGroup group="Focusers">
        <device label="ASI EAF APO" manufacturer="ZWO">
                <driver name="ASI EAF APO">indi_asi_focuser</driver>
                <version>1.9</version>
        </device>
        <device label="ASI EAF Newton" manufacturer="ZWO">
                <driver name="ASI EAF Newton">indi_asi_focuser</driver>
                <version>1.9</version>
        </device>

</devGroup>

I even changed the driver name, not only the device label, but that made no difference. Every time I change the maxposition and save the configuration, only the file ~/.indi/ASI EAF_config.xml is updated. The 2 files ~/.indi/ASI EAF APO_config.xml and ~/.indi/ASI EAF Newton_config.xml remain unchanged (although they exist).

It worked before, but I didn't use Astroberry for several weeks. Yesterday, I updated all and had to modify /usr/share/indi/indi_asi.xml again, as described, because my previous change was gone.

Do I miss something, or am I doing something wrong?

CS, Bernd
2 years 7 months ago #74754

Hi Bernd,
I changed the "drivers.xml" in /usr/share/indi (there is a section "Focusers"), the same way you did it for the indi_ASI.xml. That worked for me with the Pegasus DMFC.

The only thing is, that I have to renew it in the case of updates...
2 years 7 months ago #74755

Hi Juergen,

thanks for your reply. There is no ZWO EAF in drivers.xml, but I tried and moved the lines from indi_asi.xml to drivers.xml. But it's the same behavior then, changes always go into ~/.indi/ASI EAF_config.xml.
2 years 7 months ago #74757

Hi Bernd,
there was a threat on astronomie.de, perhaps that helps (hope you speek german looking at your name...)? The guy there has also two EAF, he describes how to do it with ASI EAF. For him it works.

forum.astronomie.de/threads/indi-2-setup...303353/#post-1561804
2 years 7 months ago #74759

Yes, indeed I'm German and found this thread here via the thread on astronomie.de you posted  .

It is strange, because it worked before, until the updates yesterday...
2 years 7 months ago #74763

Time to create page: 0.760 seconds