INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Baader Steeldrive

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Baader Steeldrive

Ok the important part is the the steps, you said 28.89 ? so it is not whole numbers? or is it 2889 steps? in INDI, only integers steps are accepted. So for 115, it means 11500 steps in total?
9 years 4 months ago #2271

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
28.89 are millimeters. To convert it to steps you divide it by the gear ratio and multiply by 100. Example: 28.99 / 0.25040 * 100 = 11577.47 which is around 11577.
9 years 4 months ago #2273

Thanks, one more clarification, if you request Field GoTo Absolute (step), is there any reply? Is there any indication on the port traffic that the focuser is in motion?
9 years 4 months ago #2276

No, the only way to check is asking current position as far as I can understand
9 years 4 months ago #2277

Need minimum & maximum for temperature coeff and # of samples.
9 years 4 months ago #2278

T coefficient range is 0.000 up to 0.999
# of samples is 16/32/64/128
9 years 4 months ago #2279

Ok, pressing UP increases the absolute step value or decreases it?

Also, just to confirm, the max trip reply :F40011577#

the 4 refers the focuser # in the drop down list as well?
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 4 months ago #2281

UP is increasing the value.
The second question is hard one... In order to answer it I need another type of Baader SteelTrack focuser, which most probably I will get, but later, in a month or two :unsure:
9 years 4 months ago #2282

Ok, I added the SteelDrive driver to INDI library. Please update to latest version (if you're using PPA, wait 12-24 hours) or use SVN for immediate access.

If you run the driver, make sure to go to Options first, enable Debug, then under Logging levels, select "Driver Debug", and then select "Log to File". After that you can connect. Btw, so far I assumed the connection is @ 9600 8N1 which is what most focusers/tty devices use but it could be different, so please confirm the connection parameters. If connection is OK, please test all the functionality and send me the log file.
9 years 4 months ago #2283

Yeah, the connection is as you described :) Will try the driver on Monday most probably!
9 years 4 months ago #2285

Ok, here we go! B)

1) Please change default Port to /dev/ttyACM0 (my mistake I haven't said that before :blush: );
2) Why buttons are bold but not pressed? (this observation is related not only to SteelDrive, all drivers have the same behaviour)
3) No reaction on Focus In / Focus Out buttons (it seems no commands are sent). Their LED should be grey when they are not pressed, yellow than pressed (because while the button is still pressed focuser should be moving, which is a on-going process). And another thing - after pressing Connect I can get Focus In button pressed, which is strange;
4) Focus speed has a range between 350 and 1000;
5) What is Focus Timer?
6) Relative position can be not only of positive value (and yeah, it doesn't work for any value - Requested position out of bound. Focus minimum position is 0, even if Absolute Position shows 0 and the value I set can't be negative);
7) Absolute Position - doesn't work (missing # at the end of the command);
8 ) Temperature gathering frequency is too high in my opinion - user don't need such a frequency. You can lower it to 1-2 fps. If you disagree - give the possibility to choose it :) ;
9) If I get thermal probe out - I get error in the log (Unknown error: focuser temperature value
(:F5-----#)
, but the temperature doesn't change in the interface). When I put the probe back temperature starts updating again. May be in case of no thermal probe it is a good idea to show user red LED?
10) Sync Position is in mm, yes?
11) Please put a dot in the Date (between month and year) in Version :)
12) Make please default T coefficient 0.100. And setting Temperature Settings doesn't work (I see no command is sent for Coefficient and for the # of Samples again # missing);
13) Temperature Compensate buttons (Enable / Disable) doesn't work - you are missing # at the end of the commands;
14) Custom Settings - the same story with missing # at the end;
15) Acceleration - no command for writing is sent;
16) There is no button for storing parameters permanently (check my list - there is such a command).

Sorry for such a long list - I worked for a year in QA department :lol: In any case thanks for your efforts, it is so great to see work in progress! :woohoo:
9 years 4 months ago #2300

Done.

Can't see it here, are you using KStars in KDE or another DE?

The focus_in/focus_out is the direction it takes once the timer is activated. So you want to focus out for 1 second, just put 1000 and press set and it will either focus in or out depending on the selection.

yeah, isn't that slew speed?

It can't be negative, the direction is set by focus_in and focus_out

yeah sorry about that, I think it is fixed now.

Made it once every 5 seconds.. maybe it needs to be every 30 seconds even..

It will become red if no temperature probe is connected and set temperature to zero.

Nothing in mm, all in steps. I added steps to label.

Done.

If you click save config in options, it will save to focuser hardware.

I actually like detailed and to the point bug reports like this, good job! Please update and retest again, hopefully most of the bugs are gone.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 4 months ago #2301

Time to create page: 0.713 seconds