INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EKOS focus module

• Thank you received: 10

EKOS focus module was created by Michael

several commercial motor-focus units have temp sensors, to trigger an autofocus routine after a certain change in ambient temperature. My guide cam is not cooled, so it't temp sensor returns that ambient temperature. Would be nice if EKOS could query this value to:
1) change the focuser position for the starting point of the autofocus procedure
2) use a definable change of temperature to initiate the next autofocus procedure

Thanks!
4 years 11 months ago #38476

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic EKOS focus module

In-camera temperature readings do not reflect ambient temperature. They measure the sensor, which will warm up from use.
4 years 11 months ago #38512

• Thank you received: 138

Replied by Chris Rowland on topic EKOS focus module

Moonlite focusers come with an external temperature sensor that you can put where it will give a good temperature, you can put it somewhere that monitors something that's relevant to the scope focus changes with temperature, maybe the OTA or the miror.
4 years 11 months ago #38520

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by Michael on topic EKOS focus module

thanks Ihoujin,

the guide cam is under consistent workload, therefore one can assume the sensor temp would be above ambient, but stable nonetheless, and useful for both purposes.

ran a quick 10 minute test on my ASI120, ambient was 18.5C, within 15" it was at 19.20C and kept at this value throughout the test.

Thanks Chris,
understood, even my home-brew has the option to connect a temp sensor, cost would be minimal so this is not a factor I believe; but another cable means another opportunity for complications, plus the temp sensor readout is already "in" EKOS.

still think it would be a good idea
4 years 11 months ago #38607

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds