INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Software PEC for EQMOD mounts

• Thank you received: 41
Hi,
I seem to remember about 2 yrs ago there was a discussion about wishing EKOS had a feature to measure and build in a software PEC for autoguiding with EQMOD mounts. I am not aware of this going any further but thought that I would bring it back as a topic or if anyone knows if it's possible to measure PEC in indi EQMOD and use with EKOS internal guiding or even PHD2 guiding in EKOS?
Cheers
Mike
4 years 9 months ago #39780

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
As far as I know it hasn't gone anywhere. But you may be interested in trying the PPEC algorithm in PHD2 as an external guider.
After a worm cycle or two it will begin to apply predictive corrections based off previous cycles. It's essentially single use PEC without the prep, and you can expect guiding to improve the longer it runs.
4 years 9 months ago #39825

• Thank you received: 41
Hi
Yep I have been using PPEC and it's OK but I am struggling to see that it actually is superior to hysteresis mode. I just wondered if there were any thoughts about developing something similar to PPEC for the internal guider facility that would work well with EQMOD mounts. There is PEC training that that be done manually on these mounts and this info is stored in the handbox I think. As there is a nice EQMOD indi driver it would be good to have PEC training integrated into the INDI EQMOD interface.

Cheers

Mike
4 years 9 months ago #39863

• Thank you received: 226
PPEC is hysteresis with the addition of making predictions.
I agree it would be great if INDI EQMod could work with PECPrep used with the ASCOM version. But I expect it is a great deal of work to implement.
4 years 9 months ago #39886

• Thank you received: 33
Any idea if EqMod has been revisited to incorporate this?
1 year 1 month ago #90395

• Thank you received: 102
No work has been done on this.

Personally, I have an EQ6-R Pro mount, and I program PEC into the mount using PEMPro on Windows. I literally have an ancient laptop with Windows 7 on it that I keep around only for the occasional PEMPro run. I never use it otherwise. :)

After PEC is programmed into the mount from the Windows software, I then reattach my KStars/INDI system, enable PEC in the EQMod control panel, and it works well after that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Grimaldi
1 year 1 month ago #90410

• Thank you received: 559
I recently have written some software to generate a PEC curve for my Astro-Physics mount using modifications to INDI/Ekos. I then wrote another piece of code to upload this PEC curve to my A-P mount. From what I can tell, it is working! Neither piece of software is mature enough to be incorporated in the mainstream KStars/INDI repositories, but I'm hoping to generalize it for other mounts and eventually merge it.

That said, I'd love to have some adventurous folks test my software on their mounts, which don't need to be A-P, but do need to have the capability to upload PEC curves, of course. (As I said, I got this working for A-P, but I'm hoping I can make similar changes to get it to work with other Indi drivers, e.g. EQMOD.)

If anyone is interested in testing this please let me know. Private message me on this forum with your email address and I can form a group email thread for any testers I get.
You'd need to be able to compile my versions of INDI and KStars to run the code. If you private message me and don't hear back within a couple days, please also add a note here.

Hy
8 months 2 weeks ago #93921

Time to create page: 1.254 seconds