INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Refocus ?

• Thank you received: 31

Refocus ? was created by Marc

Would something like this be possible ? Not all the filters are parfocal so when you need to change your filter you also need to refocus.
My idea is to include refocusing after a filter change in the Sequence Queue.

- Marc

4 years 3 months ago #47332
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Refocus ?

I don't have hands on experience with this myself. But I am fairly certain both, refocus on filter change, and focus offsets are already supported.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marc
4 years 3 months ago #47338

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic Refocus ?

I was asking for that myself... but it's there already.

See the little icon that looks like a funnel on your screen shot next to the FW: Filter Simulator? Click, that and you will see a list of all your filters and what to do when changing them.

I use an offset of -20, -10... etc. So when my filter changes, it moves my focuser to the new choice.

I found you have to run through the focus module for each lens to see what it should be. My focuser module does mess up and create donuts, so I have to be very close to focus to begin with.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 3 months ago #47339

• Thank you received: 565

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Refocus ?

Yes, it is there, but I caution you that if you do meridian flips mid sequence, you need to be using software more recent than Nov 23, 2019. I fixed a bug on that date that, without the fix, would cause the sequence to fail if auto-focusing-on-filter-change during a meridian flip. It looks like 3.3.8 was cut on Nov 16th, so it would have to be KStars 3.3.9 or the nightly release.

Hy
4 years 3 months ago #47343

Replied by Marc on topic Refocus ?

@Meggido : Thanks, indeed, I missed that one ;)
@hy : It's OK, I build from github. Thanks.

- Marc
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Marc.
4 years 3 months ago #47347

Replied by Marc on topic Refocus ?

If your setup is what I see on your thumbnail :

"The proper way to focus an SCT with the primary knob is to turn clockwise past focus, and then always reach focus turning counter clockwise.
This ensures that the focus screw is bearing the weight of the mirror (when the scope is pointed up)."

This well known tip will help preserve both your collimation and your focusing. I've found it to be useful.

- Marc
4 years 3 months ago #47350

• Thank you received: 40

Replied by David Tate on topic Refocus ?

Oh!... Let me look at what you say. Maybe this might help with the dreaded donuts!

Ok, had some time to think about it (had to go walk the dog). I'm not turning the focuser, the Focuser Module does. The only problem is, the Focuser Module will mostly get it right, then at the last try throws a large number in creates the donut, then of course if fails. So for me to give it the best chance of success, I have to get the focus almost correct before the Focuser Module tries (I use a Bahtinov mask to get it close).

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by David Tate.
4 years 3 months ago #47354

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds