INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI Driver for SVBONY cameras

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark on topic INDI Driver for SVBONY cameras

Hi, indi noob here.

I'm having a problem where Indi crashes when opening liveview to get focus on the SV305. I'm running Astroberry 2.0.3 on an RPi4.

I initially installed the indi-sv305 driver via apt, but today pulled the latest build from github and built/installed it. Still crashes. I set a minimum profile in Ekos with just the Telescope Simulator and the sv305 for testing.

Not sure what the protocol is for posting logs, but here it is. Anything else that might help?

File Attachment:

File Name: log_11-07-15.txt
File Size:65 KB
3 years 4 months ago #62469
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi folks,

@Jon

Georgia seems to be a nice place. Talking about US Pie always reminds me Disney's Chip and Dale, trying to steal one of them...

@Ginger

Thanks, great news !
Any success in your "real life" tests ?

@Beetle

Sorry about that. I will look at your log files.

Best regards, and take care,

Blaise
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Collin.
3 years 4 months ago #62526
Attachments:
Hello Beetle,

I think you have some "residues" from a previous version of the driver.
I had this error : "INDI Server: """ on an old version of the driver (I used a wrong driver name).

Does it work if you start the driver manually ? (ie : "indiserver -p <port> indi-sv305" in cli + remote connexion)

I'm not an INDI expert, but try to remove the 'SVBONY SV305 0_config.xml' file, located in your ".indi" directory.

Best regards,

Blaise
3 years 4 months ago #62639

Replied by Mark on topic INDI Driver for SVBONY cameras

Hi Blaise,

I deleted the XML files, and the issue is now resolved.

Thanks!

(This is my 2nd attempt to respond. I'm not sure what happened the first time.)
3 years 4 months ago #62736
  • Thank you received: 1
I am having a problem with the SV305 pro when used for guiding. I can only get 3 exposures with it then then it will just say (INFO) WAITING in the INDI control panel dialog box.
It also does the same thing using the internal guider in ekos or PHD2, though I guess they both use the same driver. To get it to reset I have to shutdown the indi server and disconnect
the camera usb cable. Then I'm able to get 3 more exposures. All settings are the default settings. It is set on 12 bit and 8 bit does not work for some reason.

Also I am unable to set debug mode. When I enable it, it will automatically disable. This may be do to my complete lack of experience with this software and linux in general.

Thanks for any help.
3 years 4 months ago #62738
  • Thank you received: 1
I am having an issue with my sv305 pro hanging after 3 exposures. It does it if with the internal guider and with phd2. All I get is indi control panel dialog box says (INFO) Waiting... at 1 second intervals. I have to hard reset the camera to get it to communicate again.

The driver was installed via the sudo apt-get -y install indi-sv305 command and is version 1.2.
sudo apt update and upgrade were performed on rpi4 and astroberry. All is up to date.

Thanks for any help.
3 years 4 months ago #62739
  • Thank you received: 16
I use the SV305 (not pro) with the indi_sv305_ccd driver with no real issues. I set the binning to 4 for best results. Otherwise, I use the stock driver settings (12 bit). I have had good results with both PHD2 and Ekos.internal.

I will say that occasionally PHD2 barks that it can't loop and is switching to streaming, but then it seems to loop anyway. It doesn't happen all the time.

More likely, you are having issues with timeouts moving the large file around. It is a lot to ask of a Pi3, but not so bad on a Pi4. Changing the bin to 4 will greatly reduce the file size and may solve the problem. Otherwise, you might have a think about your overall configuration. For example, running PHD2 on a remote desktop or laptop talking to an indiserver elsewhere on the network can be slow moving images. It is better, from a pure timing perspective, to run PHD2 or Ekos on the machine that is running the indiserver so the images don't have to travel over a network (especially slow WiFi). This may mean running VNC over the slow WiFi, which is also tedious, but it generally doesn't timeout.
3 years 4 months ago #62761
@thx8411
Last night I finally had clear enough weather, calm enough wind, a reworked cable management solution, and most importantly, time! The on-camera support worked flawlessly, as far as I could tell. However, I had some issue with my wifi around 2:15 am, after I went to sleep, so I didn't wind up guiding for long as I lost connectivity to my rpi4. Seems like my access points decided to play musical channels, according to Unifi.

For clarity, I have the sv305 pro connected to a usb 3 port on the pi and the st4 port on my mount, while my canon 1300d is connected to a usb2 port on the pi which I then connect to using VirtualHere, so losing wifi means I'm no longer imaging. To @JonCarleton's point, I may have to suck it up and learn how to use Ekos as opposed to APT for imaging so that connectivity issues won't ruin future imaging sessions. But I just love how APT is set up.

I also captured what I'm talking about when it comes to 12 versus 8 bit issues with the sv305. Specifically, what I interpret as unstable brightness/gamma in phd2. The guide and debug logs from phd2 are attached.

@jaytay
That sounds like a USB issue to me, but since the pi4 has the usb3 ports connected via pcie , bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. Do you have the sv305 pro connected to one of the usb 3 ports on the rpi4? What other, if any, devices do you have connected to the pi? Are you using a hub? What kind of power source do you have for the pi? Have you tried another cable?
3 years 4 months ago #62773
Attachments:
Hello Ginger,

Thanks for your tests.
The fix as been merged to the main repository.

I never had your capture issue with the SV305, but I had exactly the same problem with a QHY5. It looks like a USB power issue.
My USB power wasn't stable enough, the sensor's analogic/digital converter reference voltage swinged. I Fixed the issue by soldering a filter capacitor.

Best regards,

Blaise
3 years 4 months ago #62805
Did you just put the cap across +5v and ground? I wonder if the 5v fan I have hooked up on the pi might be introducing some noise. I'd be surprised though, since it's a noctua.
3 years 4 months ago #62806

Thanks Blaise.
When do you expect the latest build will be incorporated into Astroberry/AstroDMx? I rather not attempt another build because my last one failed.
3 years 4 months ago #62808
Hi Ginger,

Right, but it's a bit ugly. I don't recommend it.
My QHY5 worked find during 5 years. It died on october.

I don't know. It depends on Jasem's release life cycles. But it will soon be available in the indi nightly repo : launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/indinightly/

What kind of error ?

Best regards
3 years 4 months ago #62817
Time to create page: 1.080 seconds