INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI Driver for SVBONY cameras

• Thank you received: 31
Hi Tkakura,

I just saw the SV405CC availability this morning.
I wish to get one also.

I just asked Rita from SVBony to buy one 5mn ago.
As soon as I get the device, I will work on INDI support.

Right now, the SV305 driver doesn't support temperature control at all.

Best regards !

Thx8411
The following user(s) said Thank You: tkakura, Albert Tamayo
1 year 11 months ago #82190
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Collin

was just having a quick look through the sv305 and notice in the disconnect routine the camera mutex lock is commented out. Is this correct. I also noticed there’s a TODO in the abortexposure routine, is something missing here? I’ve had a couple of times where trying to stop exposures seems to result in problems though I’m not sure that was the sv305 camera or sony. Hmm the abort property is also commented out earlier so I (not having read the docs :) ) probably means the routines not used.

Regards

Nigel
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Nigel Dunmore. Reason: property commented out in code
1 year 11 months ago #82234
Hello Nigel,

<< in the disconnect routine the camera mutex lock is commented out >>

It has been done by purpose : If something goes wrong, and the mutex stay locked, we should be able to stop de camera.
But you're right, the "unlock" line should be commented as well.

<< I also noticed there’s a TODO in the abortexposure routine >>

The previous SVBony SDK provided an abort method, but it disappeared in the new one.
I tried a couple different solutions (stopping the camera, disconnecting, etc.), but nothing worked.
So, I disabled the "CCD_CAN_ABORT", leaving the code in, and waiting for a miracle to happen ;-)

Thanks for your comments !

Best regards !

Thx8411
The following user(s) said Thank You: R Dan Nafe
1 year 11 months ago #82244
Hi Simon,
well finally a vaguely clear night last night - just a nearly full moon and some thin cloud to contend with - not worth imaging so had a play.

First image is my usual guide - 300 gain, 16 bit stretch default/fit screen zoom.

second zoomed in one or two clicks

Next is with 16 bit stretch off (and pointing elsewhere - think ic 342 is the blob at 11 o’clock from the central star)

and zoomed in to actual size

Please ignore the guiding figures as I only had a quick go at doing PA - phd was showing me out by over 10 arc min…
1 year 11 months ago #82354
Attachments:
During last nights messing around - not really clear due to high level cloud, nearly full moon and the usual light pollution- I thought I would take a set of images using my guide scope (an sv106) with the sv305 and see what happens over different exposure times. Basically I’m a beginner trying to get a handle on what happens when.

This was unguided ( I did try having it guiding but for some reason I couldn’t image and guide with the same camera doh :) ) and poorly polar aligned.

The images showed stars quite happily at 1 sec, 10, 20 and 30 but at 40 they seemed to become blurry and above that up to at least 3 minutes the images seemed to be blank.

Anyone got ideas as to what was happening?
1 year 11 months ago #82355
Hi Nigel,

Your images look a bit out of focus.

When guiding with a color camera, I usually use bin 2x2, to avoid debayer artifacts.
The SV305 sensor (imx290) has a pretty small pitch (2.9um). Unless you image at very long focal length, I think you will get better results, with better SNR.

Best regards,

Thx8411
1 year 11 months ago #82365
Hi Collin

yes the camera was probably a bit out of focus as it was at a setting for a couple of weeks ago. It could also have been down to the misty clouds or the moon as usually the snr is in the hundreds.

The sv106 with its helical focuser seems rather difficult to focus. I’ve tried using astrodmx as it gives quite rapid feedback. Do you have any suggestions about what could help?

Regards

Nigel
1 year 11 months ago #82366
ok can ignore my question about the disappearing stars. Basically it appears that the sky was so bright that after 40 seconds the image was becoming over-exposed. At least that seems to be what I’m seeing in fits liberator. Next time I will check the histogram as I could see things move to the right as the exposure time increased until things basically dropped off the end.
Rookie mistake :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: R Dan Nafe
1 year 11 months ago #82405
Hi

I’ve been having problems recently with the images download by ekos from my sv305. The files appear and logging doesn’t appear to indicate any problems however while the files are the right size they seem to have null (I’m sort of assuming this as the statistics say min/max as being 0) data image.

I’ve tried shutdown/power down/boot and altering the indi driver settings but with no luck. I’ve swapped the usb connections around (all but a usb memory stick was off a powered usb hub now that is as well)

Now AstroDMx seems to be able to use the camera (yes I’ve done a shutdown etc between just in case).

Finally at my wits end late last night I was trying AstroDMx and tried auto gain rather than auto exposure (which was very noisy) and everything became clear with the stars showing nicely. Switched over to ekos and suddenly that was working fine. Even after yet another power cycle.

Anyone hit something similar?

Is Astrodmx somehow changing some state in the sv305 which survives power cycles? Or has some problem been introduced in the last few days as things were working fine previously?

Regards

Nigel
1 year 11 months ago #82574
Hello Nigel,

SVBony introduced the ability to store the settings in a recent SDK :

<< SVBCAMERA_API SVB_ERROR_CODE SVBSetAutoSaveParam(int iCameraID, SVB_BOOL enable); >>

I don't use this feature. In my mind, it's the wrong way to go. The settings should be stored in the client software, not at low level, or you may experience
the issue you just discovered.

Sadly, AstroDMX seems to use it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Best regards,

Thx8411
1 year 11 months ago #82624
Hi folks,

I'm working on the temperature control on the SV405CC, and I have a question.

The SVBony SDK controls for camera cooling are somewhat different from the INDI default controls.

SVBony provides :

- Powering the cooler ON/OFF
- Setting the cooler power (0 - 100%)
- Reading the current temperature
- Setting the target temperature

INDI provides :

- Setting the target temperature
- Setting the cooling/warming ramp
- Setting the temperature hysteresis

What should I do ?

- Try to wrap all the SVBony controls onto the INDI controls, and only them ?
- Try to mix the INDI Controls and the SVBony SDK, with extra controls ?
- Provide only the SVBony controls, as a proprietary panel, without the INDI default controls ?

Please notice that I don't have the camera yet (waiting for delivery), so, I'm note able to see how the SDK controls really act.

Best regards !

Thx9411
1 year 11 months ago #82625
  • Thank you received: 24
First implement and release the INDI control, then implement the SVBONY control. Or vice versa. Why not implement it in whichever way can be released sooner?

I too am waiting for SV405CC to ship, and SVBONY tells me it will ship at the end of this month.
Hopefully the SV405CC will arrive in your hands soon.
1 year 11 months ago #82626
Time to create page: 1.244 seconds