INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Control via a web interface

• Thank you received: 0
There is another more or less one man band project that has put everything into a R Pi 2 and presents it as a web page interface via a web server so that it can be controlled over the web. It more or less means the end of the need for any high power consumption equipment such as a PC. It is also possible to add some INDI functionality by also installing suitable utilities that are available for iPad's and Android kit running as a separate application at the browser end.

From playing with Kstars on a 1.6ghz twin core atom with 1gb of ram it doesn't seem to be a terribly heavy application processor wise. The other application uses the usual plate solving software so I wonder if the same thing could be done with INDI and be capable of being driven from any tabbed browser.

Why - well with ever increasing light pollution I feel a truly portable set up would be greatly appreciated. I also sounds like a reasonable one for a fixed installations as well to me as the kit needed to drive it is left wide open.

John
-
9 years 1 month ago #3427

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 95

Replied by Oleg on topic Control via a web interface

You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
9 years 1 month ago #3462
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 2
Looks awesome! And especially 3D simulation :)
9 years 1 month ago #3484

Replied by John on topic Control via a web interface

Thanks Oleg. That looks promising and should leave it capable of being run over wifi or wire. I must admit I was surprised some one hadn't looked at this before.

;) It will leave me with some research to do on terminology as usual - very software literate but not PC unfortunately. Is Kstars remote under one of the tabs?

John
-
9 years 1 month ago #3487

John, maybe I don't understand your question...
You can use this pyindi-client with or without Kstars.
It doesn't need the Kstars.
9 years 1 month ago #3488

On the other hand, you can download and try other small INDI client: see page www.indilib.org/forum/general/493-indi-b...r-indiprop.html#2435
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
9 years 1 month ago #3490

• Thank you received: 174

Hi Johm, I agree that the thin client is in the long term the only way to go. We're playing with a bootstrap and angular based GUI (actually a different implementation of indiserver providing services for both traditional INDI clients and web GUI) but it is not finished yet, so just one screenshot how does it look like :) Peter

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Peter Polakovic.
9 years 1 month ago #3491
Attachments:

I have to go out for a while Olag but what I am hoping to do is put everything in a rasberry Pi and then run run it via a web browser on say an iPad. This would include point the telescope via kstars, downloading jpg's to see shots from a camera and etc - auto focus - focus plus what ever else the INDI set up will do.

There are a couple of other projects that are doing something along these lines but they have problems handling some devices where as INDI generally includes the telescope kit I want to use.

John
-
9 years 1 month ago #3492

Maybe I am looking at it in an odd way. I see the most sensible way would be to have separate items presented "on the web" as separate IP addresses. That way Kstars could be under a tab, ccd / camera control under another, downloaded image another and etc including plate solving some how or the other. Spiting up like that could help get round the screen size pad's have. B) Afraid I haven't use the web on a phone so can't comment on how this sort of thing would fit in there but would guess each page could be "swipped up" somehow. The main aspect really is that all this needs is any browser at the other end. This sort of set up should be stable for a long time too.

There is a commercial windows based set up that more or less does some of this. On that one they seem to have the kstars aspect on the pad or phone. Fine but in Kstars case that would mean maintaining it on the currently available platforms. If it's in the 'Pi or what ever it's with linux where it's meant to be. The problem with platforms is that there will be others in the future and current ones will keep changing just as Linux does. More work.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with how well KDE 4 from OpenSuse 13.2 ran in IgB ram on an intel Atom netbook. I haven't even had to turn the graphics down. There is a pregnant pause when ever anything is loaded but way faster than the win 7 that was on it. Once up everything was OK. That's loading from disk. The projects I mentioned seem to run a complete image from ram. Plate solve times 15 to 9 secs depending on what it's on. One other project seems to use VNC. I assume to control a screen that a TV dongle only has in ram. Not sure. This one appears to possibly be mostly INDI based. I need to find out how to load an image into qemu.

:evil: Frankly though I think INDI needs to grow up and keep release sources up on this site for 30 months, a bit longer than the usual distro maintenance time. That way people like me might actually be able to get something running. I just found some Fedora 20 builds on opensuse build service and got excited but the libnova with them is too new for the indilib. Arggggggggggggggg. Some of it older than what's in OpenSuse 12.3 too. I will be moving my desktop to 13.2 soon but have no interest what so ever in running Tumbleweed for bleeding edge. I got nowhere with the Debian source archive. That's the only one I have found so far with earlier indi versions in it. What they have looks a bit different to what's here in your version 1........

John
-
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by John.
9 years 1 month ago #3493

Time to create page: 0.730 seconds