INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Alerts/Texts

• Thank you received: 16
Hi,

I know this has to be extremely difficult to create and add into the program. However, would it be possible to one day create an alert system for certain functions? For example, you receive a text/alert on your phone that a Meridian Flip is about to take place or even a text/alert if ekos runs into issues that causes it to abort a sequence.

Again, I am sure this is fairly complex and even possibly expensive. Just an idea to throw out there!

Thanks!
3 years 8 months ago #56656

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Ekos Alerts/Texts

This is already available, Settings --> Configure Notifications --> Meridian Flip Started. You can select any of the actions to be taken. There is "Run Command" which can be used to send such notifications. I know this is not ideal and require a lot more to get it to send to phones, but it's a starting point. We have such alerts in the SM App now, but it's on in-app notifications.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel DeSclafani
3 years 8 months ago #56663

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by jiberjaber on topic Re:Ekos Alerts/Texts

I use Octoprint with my 3d printer which has a plugin for telegram, that works great to send status messages and images, might be a good option for Ekos? ( Telegram)
3 years 8 months ago #56666

Replied by Daniel DeSclafani on topic Ekos Alerts/Texts

Thanks, I will look into it later when I am home from work and be sure to post back here of I have any questions.
3 years 8 months ago #56669

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by wotalota on topic Ekos Alerts/Texts

Being able to make a phone call would be valuable, thinking about failures or weather alerts while sleeping. I briefly looked into VOIP and Google voice earlier this week, but didn't see anything obvious that could make use of the closed system VOIP I use. But it seems like there should be something there. For now I'm just going to do something that results in a simple ` play /usr/share/sounds/KDE-Im-Phone-Ring.ogg` to wake me up.
3 years 8 months ago #56674

Weather alerts would be valuable if you had a weather station. However I find it adequate enough to use an app called Rain Alarm. You can set a radius and time frame for the alerts. An example would be the following settings: 8PM to 7AM at a radius of 15 miles. The app will alert you only from 8PM to 7AM if there is rain detected within the 15 mile radius you had set. These are both obviously adjustable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jiberjaber
3 years 8 months ago #56675

Replied by jiberjaber on topic Ekos Alerts/Texts

More detailed reply now I am on a PC rather than my phone! :)
Here's the github of the plugin I mentioned which might have some adaptability for Ekos

github.com/fabianonline/OctoPrint-Telegr...lob/stable/README.md

It does require you to have a telegram account and to set up a 'bot' on there which then acts as the interface from Telegram to Octoprint. You can control the users who are permitted to access the bot's commands. Maybe it's possible to do a similar and replace Octopring with Ekos? Perhaps send a regular update based upon activities of the scheduler i.e. Autofocus performed, Here's the last sub I took, alignment performed, etc - maybe key off the messages produced by the scheduler sent to the log?

The bot is bidirectional so it accepts commands, for example I can load and start a print on my 3d printer using it - so there may be potential to use the bot to be interactive over just a report that something happened?

This is beyond my skill set but seems like a potential starting point - perhaps an Indi plugin?
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by jiberjaber.
3 years 8 months ago #56676

When you say run commands are you saying that a command would need to be input in order for it to be able to send a text to a phone? I also have not looked much into the app. However I do have it downloaded. 1 question and then 1 issue I found with the app.

Question: Can the app be connected to my kstars/ekos on my laptop to be able to send notifications, or do I have to be using the app to control everything? Essentially I just leave my laptop outside, is there some way to connect my app to it as well?

Regarding the issue with the app. I have a Google Pixel 2 XL, I use swipe gestures for navigation. I found that this interfered with using the interface. I was not able to swipe from any side(up, left, right) to access any of the side bars. In order to do so I had to turn off navigation gestures. Not a big issue, but just thought I would bring it up. Maybe it would be simple to add an icon to click which then accesses the side bar, instead of just using swipe to access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jiberjaber
3 years 8 months ago #56677

That's interesting - I've just opened up the Configure Notifications and also a bit of google searching and there's potential to use telegram via CLI using the run command option - something to play with tonight I think!

github.com/vysheng/tg/wiki/Telegram-CLI-Commands
3 years 8 months ago #56678

Awesome! I will have a look at it tonight as well. let me know what you find. Im not as computer savvy as most so I am going to have a slow process trying to understand how this will work.

Looks like there is add contact and send text command in the CLI Telegram you linked. Im not sure how you would get them to communicate wiht ekos, but its gotta be possible.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Daniel DeSclafani.
3 years 8 months ago #56679

Using the run script option in the notifications bit of Kstars - that's as far as I've got, trying to install the telegram-cli but need to jump on a conf call now. Most instructions are using 'snap' which I can't get working on the Pi at the moment and I've tried to build from github but I get an error about sprintf for some reason!
3 years 8 months ago #56680

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Florian Signoret on topic Ekos Alerts/Texts

Hello,

On my side, I am using the notifications to launch a small java program playing a mp3 file.
This warns me when the sequence stopped, and I can snooze it by closing the program (which you cannot do if you play the sound directly).

However, I did not find the appropriate event to use.
For example, when I stop the sequence manually, the alarm is triggered.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Florian Signoret.
3 years 8 months ago #56681

Time to create page: 0.849 seconds