INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Alt-Az mode for EQmod

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Dirk Tetzlaff on topic Alt-Az mode for EQmod

Pls. forgive my dumbee question, but what do I have to do / type in order to install your branch of indi on my system ?
3 years 6 months ago #59685

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 88

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic Alt-Az mode for EQmod

Not a dumbee question, it's not easy if you never compiled software. You may refer to the libindi/indi github page where the building process is explained. You only have to change the repository with my repo and use my azeqaltaz branch ("Get the code" paragraph):
cd ~/Projects
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/geehalel/indi.git
cd ~/Projects/indi
git checkout azeqaltaz
That will replace your current indi-core installation, but it will be restored at the next software update from ppa.
If you don't succeed I may ask a pull request so that will be available in the next ppa update.

@Jasem: thanks for the info, I did'nt know the drivers.xml file, will have a look. I realize that my sentence concerning home position is quite silly, this was after I read the manual which states:
"The telescope should be mounted in a way so that it is on the right-hand side of the mount when it points forward." Still not sure what that means.
3 years 6 months ago #59686

@geehalel: many thanks ! Did as per the instructuction. Last command ("git checkout azeqaltaz") returned an error:

astroberry@astroberry:~/Projects $ git clone --depth 1 github.com/geehalel/indi.git
Cloning into 'indi'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 706, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (706/706), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (667/667), done.
remote: Total 706 (delta 125), reused 131 (delta 24), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (706/706), 2.34 MiB | 3.43 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (125/125), done.
astroberry@astroberry:~/Projects $ cd ~/Projects/indi
astroberry@astroberry:~/Projects/indi $ git checkout azeqaltaz
error: pathspec 'azeqaltaz' did not match any file(s) known to git
3 years 6 months ago #59689

Sorry, the depth -1 only gets the master branch... Try with
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/geehalel/indi.git --branch azeqaltaz
The `git checkout azeqaltaz` is no more needed in that case.
3 years 6 months ago #59694

many thanks again; I think the compilation worked; at least the whole process did finish without any error messages. Could not connect to my AZ-EQ6, though. But I also could not connect to normal EQmod and some other devices. Will do another compilation on a fresh install tomorrow...

log attached
3 years 6 months ago #59699
Attachments:

Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge : "[DEBUG] Connecting to /dev/rfcomm0 @ 9600 "
I did not test with the skywatcherAltAzSimple dirver but with skywatcherAltAzMount, I don't know how they differ. Shouldn't the serial speed be 115200 in place of 9600 ?
3 years 6 months ago #59715

Ah, good to know. My understanding was that the AltAzMount driver has not been updated and the AltAzSimple driver is the way to go in Alt-Az mode. Will try the skywatcherAltAzMount instead...
The rfcomm device is a bluetooth dongle, which connects via the HC port in the mount. This has to be set to 9600 baud in order to work. The 115k is for direct connection via the USB port of the newer AZ-EQ mounts. I can use either way to connect.
3 years 6 months ago #59722

@knro: may the problems with the slew speed reported by geehalel be connected with using the skywatcherAltAz driver instead of AltAzSimple driver ?
3 years 6 months ago #59723

Maybe you could try to connect using the USB port for testing as long as we develop the driver. I've looked at the AltAzSimple driver source, it does not have the Alignment stuff, just normal syncs. So it should work as well.
3 years 6 months ago #59728

did another run now with the geehalel indi branch:
prior to the compilation I could connect to my mount via direct USB @115k. After the compilation I could not connect with either skywatcher_altaz, Altaz_simple or EQmod.
For the EQmod I received the following log message:
[2020-09-11T13:45:25.870 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[ERROR] Error: Communication failed -> tty write failed, check connection: Write Error: Bad file descriptor "
[2020-09-11T13:45:25.872 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - "EQMod Mount" is disconnected.
[2020-09-11T13:45:25.873 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos] - "EQMod Mount is disconnected."

For the other two, I attach the log file. It occurs to me, that for the skywatcher_altaz the config.xml in the .indi directory is missing. I could set the connection parameters in the indi control panel, but I am unsure whether they have any effect:
3 years 6 months ago #59733
Attachments:

At least one of the driver has succeded in opening and writing to the mount:
<code>
[2020-09-11T13:18:05.060 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge : "[DEBUG] Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0 @ 115200 "
[2020-09-11T13:18:05.061 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge : "[DEBUG] Port FD 3 "
[2020-09-11T13:18:05.061 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge : "[DEBUG] Connection successful, attempting handshake... "
[2020-09-11T13:18:05.061 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge : "[SCOPE] SkywatcherAltAzSimple::Handshake "
[2020-09-11T13:18:05.061 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge : "[SCOPE] InitMount "
[2020-09-11T13:18:05.062 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge : "[SCOPE] CheckIfDCMotor "
[2020-09-11T13:18:06.415 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - Skywatcher Alt-Az Wedge : "[DEBUG] Handshake failed. "
[2020-09-11T13:18:06.532 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - INDI Server: "2020-09-11T11:18:06: Driver indi_skywatcherAltAzSimple: SkywatcherAltAzSimple::ISGetProperties"
</code>
`CheckifDCMotor` sends a ':' which is not a valid command for AZEQ5/6 mounts, and they return '!1'. This is what I test, exactly '!1' as this is what my AZEQ5 replies. Maybe the AZEQ6 returns another error code and the function returns false. You may test that using picocom if you have it installed: `picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0`, hit ':' followed with ctrl-M (there is no echo), and look at the reply. You may close picocom with ctrl-A then ctrl-X. Don't send other commands if you are not sure of what you do (<strong>never</strong> send ':Q'....).
Concerning EQMod, as we change the indi core library without recompiling it, it may explain the connection issue. But usually this implies a crash when the API has changed and the dynamic loader fails and aborts. Otherwise EQMod should be able to work as usual. I wonder if you actually run the hand compiled binaries. May you try to check if they have been installed in `/usr`:
<code>
ls -l `which indiserver indi_eqmod_telescope indi_skywatcherAltAzMount`
</code>
If their date are correct, you may try to launch them by hand and connect kstars directly to that indiserver (on localhost port 7624):
<code>
indiserver indi_skywatcherAltAzMount
</code>
Actually I don't exactly know your setup.

Edit: the EQMod error (bad file descriptor) suggests as disconnection/reconnection of the USB serial dongle, changing its device file (USB1 for instance).
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Jean-Luc.
3 years 6 months ago #59735

Installed picocom and sent ": +CTRL-M"

My mount returns "!0" ; so different response from your AZEQ5...

For the setup: I have astroberry installed on a pi4. Pls. let me know what other info you need.
3 years 6 months ago #59736

Time to create page: 1.326 seconds