INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focus Control for Sony A7 Series

• Thank you received: 7
The Sony Imaging Edge program allows remote control of the manual focus of Sony Lenses and use of the camera focus magnifier that zooms in when focusing. Having this in EKOS would be fantastic because I think you could get a focus profile which should be better for fine focus.

Thanks for your consideration.

Kurt
3 years 2 months ago #67324

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just as an update. I was able to take the Sony SDK and modify it to add a focus control. So I have an executable that I can invoke and pass it the desired focus position of the lens as a command line argument and it will set the focus. I can then execute a gphoto2 command that captures and downloads an image. Wrapping this with a simple Matlab script I can measure the FWHM of a star and search for best focus. It is not integrated into EKOS but it is a workable solution.

Kurt
3 years 1 month ago #68818

• Thank you received: 1
Hi Kurt, are you using a A7S mark1? In this case can you confirm that non bulb mode is working?
I open several posts with no real answer since ekos in non bulb mode seems have a bug when downloading file to the fits viewer.
I describe it here www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/8282-a7s-non-bulb-mode.html
3 years 1 month ago #68851

Peppuccio

I am using the A7R4. It seems to work fine. I saw some strange exposures last night that were 1/10th second but the ones longer than 1 sec seemed to work. I tried using the gphoto driver last night instead of the Sony driver. I have tried running on both the RPI and Mabook. I have tried a lot of things but can't get the photos to download to either the RPI or MacBook. Strange though is that I do get the FITS returned. My RP4 8GB running Astroberry is really too slow for this. It is ok for general astrophotography when you exposures are very long and you don't care but trying to adjust lens focus is a pain because of the speed to analyze the fits. I am considering buying a Mac Mini and remote into it.

Kurt
3 years 1 month ago #68853

Time to create page: 0.755 seconds