Doug MacGregor replied to the topic 'INDI Driver for SVBONY cameras' in the forum. 6 days ago

In that case I would start from scratch with a fresh install of Astroberry and KStars/AstroDMx.

That's what I ended up doing.


Doug MacGregor replied to the topic 'INDI Driver for SVBONY cameras' in the forum. 6 days ago

If you are using KStars then do the following...

sudo apt-get -y install indi-sv305

Otherwise download and install the latest version of AstroDMx (0.78.3). It has the driver built-in.


Doug MacGregor replied to the topic 'Driver for SVBONY SV305 Camera' in the forum. 1 week ago

I need to pick someone's Linux brain.

I currently use RPi-based AstroDMx for astrophoto capture but I would also like to try using my Windows PC-based SharpCap to connect to the RPi based SV305.
I can plug the camera into my Win7 laptop and SharpCap sees it but that means my laptop has to stay outside next to my telescope, to which I remote using Teamviewer.
That's the alternative I used before finding the RPi and AstroDMx, and, of course, the work done by you guys on the RPi driver for the SV305.

I know that the SV305 is not a tty device but is there a way to make it one so the PC SharpCap can see ?
Right now I use ser2net utility to let my PC see my Hand Controller on my Celestron NexStar SE8 mount because the HC is seen as ttyUSB0.

Can I assign a ttyUSBn device name to the camera?




Thanks Blaise.

I just tried another test and I'm getting some light now. I don't know why I was getting black the other day. This test was outside light hitting the CCD (or CMOS) directly with my hand partially blocking the chip.
Exposure time is the default, whatever that is.

I'm using AstroDMx for the time-being until I've got this figured out.




Do you know if KStars/Ekos supports showing live video from the SV305?
I tried both the remote version running on my RPi and the Windows version connected to the INDI Web Manager also running on the RPi.
All I got was a black screen.

I confirmed the camera is still working with SharpCap on Windows.


I agree.
I don't need to introduce problems while I have it running.


You are right.
As soon as I do any kind of capture with the camera, the error messages no longer appear when I "set" the Gain.
Nice catch.

Did you try that patch yoursefl?

How would I apply it?




I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4B with the latest release of Astroberry.

All other setting have no errors.


Sarwar wrote: Gain control works just fine.. probably just needs a few millisecond of sleep. I say so because it happens only when the camera is connected for the first time, i.e. from a power cycle or powering it up for the first time.

I'm glad it actually works.
You are right. I didn't check to see if I got the error if I did multiple manual changed in the INDI Control Panel.

That's a relief.

Thanks for the feedback.


I do have the same issue with AstroDMx.

But what I was trying to point out was the syntax of the parameters.

Please see the attachment for the particulars.

What I'm concerned about as I learn how to use KStars is will this Gain Controll error actually prevent me from setting the Gain amount?



thx8411 wrote: Hi,

Thanks for your tests.

Have you noticed that sometimes the camera returns an frame from the previous exposure? Maybe it is related to the junk frame.

Right, this is the "junk frame" issue. It seams fixed in the last SDK.

Best regards.


Hello. I have been using your driver that was released yesterday by Administrator knro.
I works perfectly except for sett the Gain.
Nice work.

I do not know how to write drivers but I noticed something on GitHub in the sthx8411_v305_2 branch.

There is a difference on the line that sets the Gain. A difference from the other settings...

case SVB_GAIN :
// Gain
IUFillNumber(&ControlsN[CCD_GAIN_N], "GAIN", "Gain", "%.f", caps.MinValue, caps.MaxValue, 10, caps.DefaultValue);
IUFillNumberVector(&ControlsNP[CCD_GAIN_N], &ControlsN[CCD_GAIN_N], 1, getDeviceName(), "CCD_GAIN", "Gain", MAIN_CONTROL_TAB, IP_RW, 60, IPS_IDLE);
status = SVBSetControlValue(cameraID, SVB_GAIN , caps.DefaultValue, SVB_FALSE);
if(status != SVB_SUCCESS)
LOG_ERROR("Error, camera set gain failed\n");

// Contrast
IUFillNumber(&ControlsN[CCD_CONTRAST_N], "CONTRAST", "Contrast", "%.f", caps.MinValue, caps.MaxValue, caps.MaxValue/10, caps.DefaultValue);
IUFillNumberVector(&ControlsNP[CCD_CONTRAST_N], &ControlsN[CCD_CONTRAST_N], 1, getDeviceName(), "CCD_CONTRAST", "Contrast", MAIN_CONTROL_TAB, IP_RW, 60, IPS_IDLE);
status = SVBSetControlValue(cameraID, SVB_CONTRAST , caps.DefaultValue, SVB_FALSE);
if(status != SVB_SUCCESS)
LOG_ERROR("Error, camera set contrast failed\n");

For every setting other than Gain, the setting is MaxValue/10

For Gain it reads MaxValue, 10

Is that a problem?


Thank you for that.

Administrator knro posted a way to update KStars for the completed SV305 driver yesterday....

It works perfectly.


knro just posted the update here...

And it works!

Thank you all for all your hard work and assistance.


IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

First I renamed all 3 of the indi_sv305_ccd files I had placed in /usr/bin. /usr/local/bin and /usr/lib that i had copied to try to get it to work to indi_sv305_ccd.old.

Next I renamed indi_sv305_ccd.xml in /usr/share/indi to indi_sv305_ccd.xml.old.

Then I ran the "sudo apt-get -y install indi-sv305" as suggested by knro.

Then I reselected the "SVBONY SV305" driver in Web Manager and Started it.

Then I reselected that same driver in my Profile, saved it, and press "Start Ekos"

And Voila! (see attachment)

Thank you knro and all who helped in this endeavour.

INDI Rocks.


I am assuming it was because AstroDMX was just relased for the RPi and it works perfectly with my SV305. I downloaded and installed the 32-bit Debian Installer.
I am still waiting on news for KStars.