INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver OnStep (LX200 like) for INDI

• Thank you received: 0
Looks like I found a way to use lx200 onstep driver as a focuser by creating a custom driver and reassigning the type. But have to solve other things.
1. The rotator can be found but cannot be assigned to my optical train.
2. The Wheather tab doesn't show any info (I use bme280).
3. Focuser works weirdly. It moves the motor only when pressing the up arrow button for the first time (the next press of the button does nothing). Pushing the down arrow button occurs an error every time (doesn't depend on focuser position).
All these things work in windows via ascom driver, so the device is working properly.
1 year 2 days ago #92790
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1. how to trigger a driver reload for dynamically created based devices in the indiserver and Ekos?
Alain: I did not find any way to do that in an unattended way nut via button ... not nice
Alex: ok, I will have a look if I find a way. The other solution would be to create all drivers static and disable them, if they are not needed.
2. is it possible to drop the dependency on Lx200generic?
Alain: Needs a complete rewrite from scratch and this is exactly what TeenAstro did.
Alex: First look does not seem to be that big of a deal. LX200Telescope is just 1600 lines of code compared to the onstep driver with around 5000 lines. And as the onstep driver is overwriting some functionality of the LX200Telescope driver this might be even less. But yes the change is still quite substantial. Thats why I am asking if this would be accepted or if a smaller change is preferred.
3. are there problems with concurrency when reading and writing to PortFD unprotected?
Alain: What do you mean by unprotected?
Alex: Never mind, I found the lx200CommsLock mutex.
4. what do you think about the hacky approach and a complete restructuring of the driver?
Alain: same as for 2, rewrite all from scratch
Alex: Ok, I assume the smaller change is preffered.

I will continue working on the "smaller change" solution. Thank you for your help!

regards
Alex
1 year 2 days ago #92796

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

I have an issue with focuser OnStep driver - it doesn't show telescope temperature.
Some image reference below...

I would appreciate some help in here.

Thanks and regards,
W
11 months 3 weeks ago #92916
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 71
Maybe TCF Enable would help :-)
11 months 3 weeks ago #92917

It has already been enabled, but it doesn't help much... :-(

W

Last edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by Wieslaw Stawiski.
11 months 3 weeks ago #92927
Attachments:

By the way - the CPU temperature is also wrong, but it's minor thing...
11 months 3 weeks ago #92928

Hello
I am currently trying to use an off-the-shelf Onstep controller with Kstars. It is manufactured by Terrans Industries and contacting them has not resulted in an answer.
I am using the LX200 OnStep driver. I can connect however once initialisation occurs I receive a repeated warning on the Indi driver control panel (in orange):

Date/time: [WARNING] Communication: Ft# error, check connection.
Date/time: [WARNING] Invalid response, check connection.

This error message repeats every second in the Indi driver control panel, however the mount appears to respond to commands using the mount control feature in the mount section of Ekos.
I haven’t yet used it in the field.

Alain has suggested I contact this forum. He has also suggested that the problem may be related to Focuser although I have left that function blank in the in profile setup. Whatever the problem is, it is beyond my limited technical understanding.
I have not included Indi logs or Onstep firmware version.

I’m not sure how to progress. The ‘connection’ tab reveals nothing that I can see. A screenshot is attached.
8 months 1 week ago #95378
Attachments:

Hi,I will try to reproduce this but don't wory for the time beeing.Which system are you using?
Linux, Windows, Mac OS ???

Depending on the system you are, there are differnet tools to communicate and debug OnStep connections
On Linux I use "minicom"
On Windows I use "putty"
nMac OS I don't know, I have no Mac

Once you are connected with the terminal to OnStep you can send commands to OnStep and see responses.
In your case you shoud send the command that brings you the issue and see if OnStep answers.The command should be typed in like this: ":Ft#"

to test OnStep you could use the ":GVP#" command where OnStep shoud answer with firmware version

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

File Attachment:

File Name: OnStep_Commands.zip
File Size:43 KB
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Alain Zwingelstein. Reason: formating mismatch
8 months 1 week ago #95383
Attachments:

From you screeshots I can deduct:
- OnStep Indi Driver Version is 1.19, the last one
- There is a Focuser Tab that shows up meaning there is a focuser configured in the firmware
If you could have a look in the firmware tab it would tell you the firmware installed.

I justr contacted "Terrans" to see if as an "Onstep Indi Driver Developper" there could be a way to cooperated with them.

Wait and see :-)
8 months 1 week ago #95384

Hello Alain
my OS is Mac OS 11.7.9
my terminal knowledge is very basic and I will try to connect via terminal to the onstep controller although I'm not sure how but I will try to muddle through and try the commands you have supplied. I will report back.
thanks very much!
cheers
Andrew
8 months 1 week ago #95393

Hello again Alain
FYI here is a screenshot of the open focuser tab.

Andrew
8 months 1 week ago #95394
Attachments:

Hi,

I don't know which kind of terminal you have on MacOSX (maybe somebody here can help)
But things are very simple:

I see you have a "/dev/cu.usbserial-14210" (from the "connection" tab), the communication device.

With your terminal you configure this device (the /dev/cu....) with 9600 bauds, 8 bits and One Stop bit.
Then you should be able to connect to OnStep.
After that you might have to configure "echo on" in you terminal to see what you are typing.

An alternative would be the "serial monitor" from the Arduino ide if you have this installed.
8 months 1 week ago #95401

Time to create page: 1.012 seconds