INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EKOS Refocusing During Flat Field Filter Changes

• Thank you received: 30
Finally had a break in the weather and was able to capture some frames last night. This morning during the capture of flats for my L, R, G, and B filters, EKOS started to automatically refocus during every filter change. I know there has been an update since I was able to shoot last - did something change? This is new behavior for me.

In order to capture my flats, I would have to go to the focus module and abort the focus process and then reset the focuser to the original number of ticks. I would then go back to the capture module and start the sequence. At the end of the first run of 20 flats for the luminance filter, EKOS started to attempt another autofocus associated with the change to the red filter. I would then repeat the autofocus abort, etc. This occurred for each filter. I was saving the flat files as XISF files which was new with this release and I don't know if that had any impact.

I have attached a log file that I have reduced to show only the initial start up on the afternoon/evening of April 9 and then skipping ahead to the morning of April 10 when this behavior was exhibited.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_18-34-...copy.txt
File Size:2,764 KB

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91885
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Filter settings don't have any checkboxes for autofocus on filter change? please double check.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91904

• Thank you received: 30
Hi Jasem,

I went into filter settings and saw that the autofocus selection was active for all filters. I unchecked it and then it no longer tried to autofocus when taking flats. So, things are working in a way. I would have the following comments:

1) This is the first time I have seen this behavior when taking flats in EKOS and I haven't changed these settings - so I'm at a loss to explain whether the behavior was different before or whether an update set the autofocus on filter change to active.

2) I guess this means that users who want to autofocus on filter change while taking light frames will have to keep going back and forth to turn this feature on and off or am I missing another setting?

3) Wouldn't a better default behavior be to not autofocus when taking flat frames since autofocus can't complete on a flat frame anyway?

As always, appreciate your involvement on these small matters.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91934

It's a bug, will push a fix soon.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91935

• Thank you received: 133
Is that in now? I was hit by that, too, last night (but running kstars from 3 weeks ago).

I had noticed that the capture module (at least in that version) also wanted to do an AF run when using the 'preview' button, which I'd also call at least 'unwanted behavior'....
1 year 12 hours ago #92458

11 months 2 weeks ago #92708

Time to create page: 0.339 seconds