INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KSTARS V3.6.6 and autofocus

• Thank you received: 19
Hi,

I update my desktop MINT 21.1, with Kstars V3.6.7. First, why on the Jasem's Ekosphere site, are there no more announcements of new versions, with added or modified functions?
I launch Kstars to try it in simulation mode. I can't even take a picture in simulation mode! When I connect a webcam same punishment with back to the desktop.

I add, I have big problems with autofocus. No way to use it. Some times the focus is good, in agreement with a Bahtinov. The next time it is nonsense, the focus is successfull, according to Ekos, but the stars are football ballons ! I do tries and tries, with Kstars V3.6.6, on the sky during two weeks in vain. I am going to try focus with another software in order to see if the issue comes from Kstars ou my device, a DIY focuseur with MyfocuserPro2 driver.
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by MORELLI.
7 months 4 days ago #96128
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 282

Replied by John on topic KSTARS V3.6.7

Hi Morelli,

If you can send me some screenshots of your focus setup and a log with "verbose" and "focus" enabled, I'll take a look at it.

(I don't see any focus activity in the log you enclosed).

Best,
John.
7 months 4 days ago #96139

Replied by MORELLI on topic KSTARS V3.6.7

Sorry, the log is related with the V3.6.7 issue. I join at this message the log from autofocus tries. At this time I have no more informations, screencopy or else, to give you.
Last edit: 7 months 1 day ago by MORELLI.
7 months 1 day ago #96196
Attachments:

Hi Morelli,

I see almost no focus messages in the log. I'm guessing you didn't have focus set to output to the log?

Could you set it like this and retry please...
7 months 1 day ago #96212
Attachments:

Hi,
All the boxes are checked for the logs. I am disappointed because, I made long tries on 29/09 evening and I have not related logs. So I found one of a previous day wtih focus.

As soon as the weather becomes good I try again with Kstars and others software (CcdCiel and NINA), in order to determine if the issue comes from the focus device or the software.
6 months 4 weeks ago #96247
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Jason D. Clayton on topic KSTARS V3.6.7

Hi! I feel aliviated that at least somelse is experiencing same "Focus successfull according to Ekos but the stars are football ballons!!". In my case some times it also reaches a perfect solution but it does not recognize it and it continues back & forth trying to get a good solution and got ballons as stars.

I haven't changed my equipment since previous versions of Kstars. I miss the times when it beatifully reached good solutions on previous Kstars versions (much less complicated with options which tryed -unsuccesfully- to add better focus functionality if it only worked! - i.e: This "locked filter & offsets to the other filters from the locked one" is a pretty good idea. As the autofocus function is not working - or I don't know how to get it working- in 3.6.7, there is no point to calculate offsets. Pity!-)

If I could be of any help sending logs/autofocusframe pics, or following any instructions to get real data to solve it, please ask.

Jason
6 months 4 weeks ago #96271

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by Bryan Ramsey on topic KSTARS V3.6.7

Im also in the same boat. I had everything working great, then there were a few updates and my focus just can't seem to converge most of the time. If I go back into theSkyX it focuses fine. Anyway, not sure any of this is useful feedback without more information, just feel the pain. Ive reset everything and started over, but lost in all the settings.
6 months 4 weeks ago #96273

Hi Jason & Bryan,

If you post screenshots of the Focus parameters settings you use and tell me what equipment you have I'll try and help you out. Alternatively put verbose focus debug logging on (screenshot above in this thread) when you're focusing and post the log here.

I have been creating some YouTube videos on Focus which you might find helpful. This is the introductory one:
6 months 4 weeks ago #96275

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Jason D. Clayton on topic KSTARS V3.6.7

Hi John!

For now I only have few "autofocus_frame_*" frames. No screenshots and log data yet. I'll try to get everything packaged and have it shared it with you.

Probably tonight (my night :) @ GMT+2)

Until then, thank you very much!
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
6 months 4 weeks ago #96277

Hi,

I spent my last night to test the autofocus of Kstars V3.6.6 on my RPI4Stellarmate. I don't use the app, I link to the RPI4 with Nomachine.
I join multiple logs and screenshots.

I don't understand how the program runs. At a time, the focuser is going out again and again. So the stars become bigger and bigger. I should expect the program, noting the drift, would go back to reach a better focus.

I had better result, if I can say, with polynomial algorithm. The Linear 1 pass is very bad. The V-curve is flat and when Iit successes, the stars are football ballon! I am glad to not be alone in this case.

I am ready to test my focuser with NINA and CCDCiel on Windows11 OS this night.

Thank you for your help.
6 months 3 weeks ago #96282
Attachments:

Hi Morelli,

Thanks for the information. I see you are using a myFocuserPro2. In the past folks have had trouble with a couple of things. This is a reasonable trail FYI: www.indilib.org/forum/general/13289-line...n.html?start=0#92263

1. Firmware version needs to be current. I can't tell from the log which version you are using but you'll need to make sure its the latest. If not, you'll need to upgrade.
2. Setting "AF Overscan" to 0. For some reason that I don't understand setting a value > 0 caused problems in the past with this focuser. So you'll need to manage any focuser backlash some other way, e.g. use the driver backlash.

These 2 things hopefully with improve things for you. Please let me know.

Here are a couple of other suggestions. These won't fix your issue but are just suggestions...
I see you are using a curve type of Quadratic. This should work but I'd recommend Hyperbola or Parabola. You are also using the SEP profile of "All stars". Again, this should work but I would normally recommend 1-Focus-Default - unless of course, you have a specific reason for using All Stars.

Hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on.
6 months 3 weeks ago #96295

Hi John,

As I said on my last message, I made tries with NINA and CCDCiel. I didn't succed to operate the AF with CCDCiel and I will try again. Because, there is a focuser training that calculates focus parameters and I would want to see how it runs.

With NINA, no issues with the AF, even if the user interface is of poor quality. The V-curve is quickly made and I could reproduce it.

Compared to these two programs, KSTARS' user interface is by far the best ! And more, I had to dive back into Windows. A real nightmare for me!

So, I think to have eliminate focuser device issue.
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by MORELLI.
6 months 3 weeks ago #96300
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds