INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Periodic / In-Sequence Focus

• Thank you received: 5
Yep, exactly that...
3 months 1 week ago #98183

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 281

Replied by John on topic Periodic / In-Sequence Focus

Yep, good idea... I'll add it to the list :cheer:

It will need to apply to both HFR Check focus frames and the last datapoint of Autofocus which forms the HFR that's used for reference.

(I'll also see if I can decouple the "average over" from the Capture button.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Massimo
3 months 1 week ago #98184

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Periodic / In-Sequence Focus

I expected this [capture] button to take one exposure in order to check if there are enough stars in the field. Same button, same functionality as in the capture tab. I remember one person expected it to take 3 exposures and report median HFR to check focus at the current focus position. But that IMO should be done with a different button, provided this feature is deemed necessary at all. JMHO
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Alfred.
3 months 1 week ago #98186

<cit> It will need to apply to both HFR Check focus frames and the last datapoint of Autofocus which forms the HFR that's used for reference. <cit>

Don't you think that just using the fitted value of the V-curve computed by a full autofocus run is preferable/easier? Is it not also easier from a software point of view (mind it, my programming skills are subzero)
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Massimo.
3 months 1 week ago #98197

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Periodic / In-Sequence Focus

Massimo: "Don't you think that just using the fitted value of the V-curve computed by a full autofocus run is preferable/easier?"

The fitted value of the V-curve and the last datapoint of Autofocus are the same thing, aren't they? Sounds to me like you're of the same opinion. :)
3 months 1 week ago #98208

Yes, Alfred! I wasn't clear; what I'm suggesting is that the "average over" of the last datapoint of the first focus run could be skipped. I propose tu simply use the HFR value obtained by fitting the V-curve, basically the ordinate of the minimum of the curve, instead of measuring an average of the HFR value of the last datapoint. But I don't know if this is easier or harder because I don't know how the focusing algorithm works on the inside.
3 months 1 week ago #98218

Hello, John. I recently built and installed the latest release of Kstars 3.6.9 (huge thanks to Nou's scripts for that!) With your new focus algorithms... Great work! So far, everything works like a charm! I won't be able to test anymore these days (cloud, plus my mirrors are traveling to Venice for a re-aluminization), but thank you very much for your wonderful effort and dedication!
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
3 months 6 days ago #98341

Hi Massimo,

I was intending to do a video explanation on this over the weekend but ran out of time on other things. I'll do one soon.

So the HFR check has had a revamp - fixed HFR now works and there is a "Last Autofocus" option, along with the existing algorithm which I've named "median measure".

I'm still working on some of the other items in this thread - they will probably come after the next release at the end of the month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Massimo
3 months 5 days ago #98357

Youtube video here on In Sequence focusing including the latest HFR Check functionality:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Alfred
3 months 5 days ago #98387

• Thank you received: 41
@John

2 days in a row, when my autofocus runs, I got this issue:

I hadn't change a thing for months. That happened after my latest SM OS update, in which all the settings moved to Options tab.
The AF procedure seems to start, but it is stuck in this state.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 3 months 10 hours ago by Euripides.
3 months 10 hours ago #98502
Attachments:

Hi Euripides,

I think this is a bug I've introduced in fixing some of the HFR Check stuff. Sorry about this.

I need to work a bit more to fix this without breaking HFR Check when used with filter offsets. Hopefully I can fix this tomorrow or Tuesday.

In the meantime you could try using a walk of "FIXED STEPS". Although it will drop the first datapoint in the focus curve I think the other datapoints will be fine and Autofocus will work - at least it works on the Sim.

So thanks very much for raising this and apologies once again.
3 months 6 hours ago #98508

• Thank you received: 41
Please! Not even mention it!

Your work is more than splendid on this topic.

I'm happy that I helped to find it :-)
2 months 4 weeks ago #98511

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds