INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

So maybe we should just forget the cmake version - I am having trouble with it, too. I am going to try to re-emerge - If that doesn't work for me then I will have to revert my script anyway.
7 years 5 months ago #12347
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 819

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Well it is rather important, because we need a route to get a version of kstars that we can to edit, build, and test code in QT Creator. I have been doing that all along on my old laptop, but I need it to work on my new one. That route might use your script to get it all set up, or maybe we just want a series of steps. I had some issues with using on my new laptop the series of steps I had used to get it up and running on my old laptop, and I am having trouble with the version built using your script. It is very close to working and we do need to get it working somehow.

The version we have build using emerge is fully functional. But we need another build that we can edit in Qt Creator. Otherwise we can't really do any more OS X specific development. It is kind of vital.
7 years 5 months ago #12348

It wasn't until I was using the downloaded qt that I could emerge and have it work right.

If my emerge works, I will use that as a baseline and retry the other/ home-brew version. I feel like we have taken two steps backwards today.
7 years 5 months ago #12349

Oh the emerge one works just fine, I did that earlier today with no problem! But we need one we can edit as well. It may be that we can load the emerge one into QT Creator and edit it somehow. But it is confusing.
7 years 5 months ago #12350
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Rob, what's the problem exactly please with the cmake version? That's the one which uses brew qt5 right? or am I barking at the wrong tree?
7 years 5 months ago #12351

Well yes, we were using the brew qt5 version for that. On my new MacBook Pro, I tried my series of steps for it. I wanted to try to make these use my installed qt instead of the brew qt5 by exporting the environment variable, but it refused and installed the brew qt5 anyway.

brew tap haraldf/kf5
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kplotting
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kxmlgui
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-knewstuff
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kdoctools
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-knotifications
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kcrash

git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kstars.git

mkdir kstars-build
cd kstars-build
export PATH=$PATH:$(brew --prefix gettext)/bin
export Qt5_DIR=$(brew --prefix qt5)
export Qt5DBus_DIR=$Qt5_DIR
export Qt5Test_DIR=$Qt5_DIR
export Qt5Network_DIR=$Qt5_DIR
export ECM_DIR=$(brew --prefix kf5-extra-cmake-modules)/share/ECM

cmake ../kstars

After all of that, I tried the cmake and it failed. I don't remember what it was now that failed, but it did. So then I asked Jamie if he could add a function to his script that would allow us to use his script to get a version that could be edited in qt creator. That would be easier than doing all of this anyway, especially if it works with without the homebrew qt5. It almost works now.
7 years 5 months ago #12352

ok, thanks for the info. I'm going to see if I can find what environment variable we need for haraldf/kf5 to work with the Qt5 dmg install.

edit:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
7 years 5 months ago #12353

I really borked it when I split out the two dirs. Emerge is failing now - I think that I know why though, retrying
7 years 5 months ago #12354

One of the files in github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5 probably checks for Qt5 path, just need to find out which one and see what we can do to overwrite it.
7 years 5 months ago #12355

?? I did the emerge version earlier today and it worked!
7 years 5 months ago #12356

Well, the emerge works, but I doubt that it works from the dmg. The fix-libraries script didn't get the memo about the new directory names
7 years 5 months ago #12357

The following is just an idea and you can shoot me down for being a stupid one...
Maybe we should separate the build script and have one for emerge and one for cmake , maybe?

We know the emerge one works, I know I used it earlier this afternoon and it works from start to finish without an error.
7 years 5 months ago #12358
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds